Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Potato on egg and tinfoil?

Options

This might be a dumb question but why do some wrap there baked ( egged) potatos in tinfoil when on egg wouldn't they be better unfoiled to get a little smokey flavor? Doing some the w/e and wasnt sure about the foil part ???

Any favorite potato techniques for the egg???

thanks.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,746
    Options
    i think the foil goes back to campfire days, much better no foil in the egg, oil them , salt them, bake them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Wrapping them in foil gives the skin a softer texture and keeps them warm longer after cooking - it also reduces smoke flavor.  The current predominant technique for baked potatoes is to pierce, coat them in oil and course salt and bake without foil. 
    Options
    Agree.......in foil, they are steamed.....not baked.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I like them without foil. If I need to keep them warm I will foil them after they are cooked. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options

Those tat's look delicious brianbala.Trying those for sure!!!

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • brianbala
    brianbala Posts: 29
    Options
    They look much better when they've been done on the egg, with some smoke - Nice chared skin.
    Two Large Eggs - Located in Marietta, GA (East Cobb)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    brianbala said:
    Here a photo of a potato cook that I duplicated the other night. You slice the potato as thin as you can, almost all the way through, drizzle olive oil, add S&P to taste, and bake it in the egg, indirect at about 400 for an hour or until its tender. I finished it with chives and sour creme.
    That looks great man!  I tried that once but didn't slice them thin enough and/or didn't go long enough.  Might have to give this another try! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Options
    Next time you make the sliced "Hasselback" potatoes put chopsticks next to both long sides and they will prevent you from slicing completely through the potato.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    brianbala said:
    Here a photo of a potato cook that I duplicated the other night. You slice the potato as thin as you can, almost all the way through, drizzle olive oil, add S&P to taste, and bake it in the egg, indirect at about 400 for an hour or until its tender. I finished it with chives and sour creme.
    I saw them make that on America's test kitchen the other day....they microwaved the potato to soften it up some, then cut it and washed out any surface starch, coated with oil, baked, then added cheese and chives (and whatever), then broiled.  Looked good.
    Options
    Lots of good advice here, crashed taters, from the Pioneer Woman are also favourites. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    after you have scrubbed them, poke a few holes in them, coat them in EVO, S&P and some garlic salt. On the egg for about 1 hour.. if you are into eating the skin, you get a little "zap' of garlic. We really enjoy that. And for sure no foil
    Large, small, and a mini