Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Swordfish (pictures)

NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,138
edited June 2013 in Seafood
We'll be adding swordfish steaks to our list of easy weeknight dinners.

Swordfish on the Big Green Egg

I thought I hated it because the one time I ate it in a restaurant, it was A W F U L.

Luckily, my local fish store talked me into grilling a few up.

I marinaded them in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and minced garlic.

And cooked direct at about 500F for 4-5 minutes on each side.

I really liked them!  I'd like to try a few different marinades and maybe a dry rub? How do y'all cook them?

More info & pictures HERE.

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,951
    I love swordfish, good choice!  It doesn't need much - grill it like a steak and don't hide the incredible flavor of the fish.

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,892
    Looks great Kristi.  Beautiful pics as always. 

I have done this recipe several times and it is really good:

It has been a few years since I made it- pre-egg days. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • WalrusBBQWalrusBBQ Posts: 151
    Those look DELICIOUS

Also, fantastic shots. Thanks
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

·
  • NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,138
    Thanks, @SmokeyPitt, I love the Island Salsa idea!
    ·
  • wbradkingwbradking Posts: 193
    I like to marinade in soy sauce, lime juice, garlic and ginger.  Haven't had swordfish in a while, I need to grill some up soon!
    Franklin, TN Large BGE
    ·
  • lilwootylilwooty Posts: 213
    edited June 2013
    Love swordfish, but I can't stand it if it is over cooked. The trick for me is never cook it past medium. I grill it very simply with just salt and pepper and serve it up with a nice mango salsa. Good stuff.

Living Large and XL

·
  • Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 568
    What internal temp to pull it?
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,282
    My favorite fish topping (goes great with swordfish too):  1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 finely minced chipotle pepper, and about a tablespoon of honey; mix.  The honey and/or the mayo deaden the pepper, its not hot at all but very savory, great with any non-oily fish (ie avoid trout, catfish, mackeral et al).  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,461
    For me just s/p and lemon after taking it off the grill. I love swordfish. Looks great
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 774
    Blackened
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,058
    what's that grate called again?
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    I love swordfish when I am near the ocean. Here not so much. Great looking cook!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    edited June 2013
    BYS1981 said:
    what's that grate called again?
    @BYS1981: ; It is the 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack from Ceramic Grill Works -- http://ceramicgrillworks.com/products-page/product-category/large-2-tier-adjustable-swing-rack-system/

·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 566
    I didn't see what's in the island salsa so this might fall in that category. I agree with Nola on letting the flavors come out. I'd try a lighter acid .. I like lime and cilantro .. you could add diced mango or pineapple with red onion and red pepper.
    ·
  • Big RaguBig Ragu Posts: 146

Nice looking cook.....  right up my alley.  simple-fresh

never seen that grate.  Like the wider surface.  Where did you find?

·
    ·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,610
    lilwooty said:
    Love swordfish, but I can't stand it if it is over cooked. The trick for me is never cook it past medium. I grill it very simply with just salt and pepper and serve it up with a nice mango salsa. Good stuff.
    Agree. It can dry out in a hurry if you're not careful.

@NecessaryIndulg, do you feel like the marinade help retain the moisture in the fish?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I love swordfish on the BGE.  I recently made paste I put on the swordfish for about 30 minutes prior to cooking.  Several handfuls of cilantro (probably 2 cups worth), about 1/4 cup cocunut oil, and several cloves of garlic.  I threw that into a food processor to make a paste and applied it liberally over the swordfish.  Near the end of the cook, I added a little more to the top at the end.  It turned out delicious.
    Pittsburgh, PA
    ·
    edited June 2013
    lilwooty said:
    Agree. It can dry out in a hurry if you're not careful.

@NecessaryIndulg, do you feel like the marinade help retain the moisture in the fish?
    Hard to tell, @TexanOfTheNorth. ; I haven't made it enough to know, but I think the trick is to not overcook it.   Also, this fish was fresh and never frozen -- I think that has a lot to do with it, too.

Thank you, @trup0241, that sounds like it's right up my alley!
    ·
  • BayaradBayarad Posts: 292
    Loved the look of that so much we're trying it tonight with some grilled zucchini and broccoli slaw! It's in the marinade now, and thanks for the inspiration Kristi!
    ·
  • Looks fantastic!  
    Large, Medium, and Mini BGE, a few accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter and powdery snow. 
    ·
  • Looks fantastic!  
    Large, Medium, and Mini BGE, a few accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter and powdery snow. 
    ·
    edited June 2013
    Bayarad said:
    Loved the look of that so much we're trying it tonight with some grilled zucchini and broccoli slaw! It's in the marinade now, and thanks for the inspiration Kristi!
    @Bayarad -- Can't wait to hear about it!
    ·
  • BayaradBayarad Posts: 292
    Turned out great sorry not many pics! Marinated as you suggested Kristi for about an hour in a freezer bag just salt pepper a half cup of evoo a quarter cup traditional Modelo Balsamic vinegar and four minced cloves of garlic! Zucchini was halved lengthwise, rubbed with evoo, and seasoned with salt, pepper and a little bit of Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin, brought grill to about 450 since I was grilling at the top of the fire ring,and went four minutes a side with alder chips and cooked direct. Broccoli slaw was store bought, and tarter sauce was Hoffman House mixed with a tablespoon of Emerils kick it up red pepper sauce! Delicious! One plated pick, and thanks again Kristi!
    ·
  • Greetings-

Used your recipe this evening, turned out great, thanks for sharing. The simplicity of the spicing was really nice. I ended up at about 475-520 degrees since I am still working on keeping a constant temperature but it was cooked through. Thanks again and have a great week!

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    LBGE + cedar table
    ·
  • Glad you enjoyed it, @ChrisgrillsSTLMO!  Thank you for letting me know! :) 
    ·