Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt 33lbs worth!

Options
rjfalski
rjfalski Posts: 13
edited June 2013 in Pork
Hey there BGE'rs,

I've had my large BGE since November of 2012 and I've probably have cooked more on it since getting it than the gas grill I'd had for years.  Truly love the thing and my dad even bought one a month after I got mine.  Anyway, enough of that here's my cook.

My friend from work asked if I would cook some pork butt for his son's graduation. He wanted 4 butts and I wasn't even sure it would all fit. Of course I relied on all the support from this site to help me out and what I found was what i needed to make it a success; so thank all of you who have posted on here.

I was excited to do so...However, I was a bit nervous of cooking it because the last two I cooked, the egg went out...More so because I just wouldn't leave it alone. I kept messing with the vents to maintain 220-250. So I ended up forking out some more BG Money and got the DigiQ you see in the pictures.  That makes cooking idiot proof.  Set the temp and let er rip....I kid you not, I set the temp at 225 and it stayed there the entire cook. (24hrs) it took two hours to get to 225, but once it was there...it stayed.  Certainly one of those "Cool aint Cheap" devices I'd certainly recommend.

Anyway, I used a concoction rub another buddy gave me to rub the butts.  I call it "Butt Dust" It was a mixture of paprika salt, sugar, chili powder etc. I rubbed all 4 butts the night before and let them set in the fridge.  I stayed home from work on Friday (poor me huh?) to cook these guys.

I fired up the Egg around 10 am and planned for a 24 hour cook.  He needed the goods by noon..and the party was at 3pm on Saturday.  I didn't want to be late and figured if they finished early, i could just stick them in a cooler wrapped in towels, which i ended up doing.

After putting some water in some drip pans I just let them cook...I didn't look till the temp got to 197 and here are pictures.

I wrapped each butt in foil and then a towel.. I placed them in a cooler and brought them to my buddy and his kid.  Of course i "tasted" some of it and what can I say?????? AWESOME... Not only that, everyone wanted to know how i did it....Really? I didn't do anything other than let the EGG do it's magic. No secrets, no fancy technique or any other "TOP SECRET" formula other than "Rub it and Stick it in!" 

So there ya have it. Enjoy.
imageimageimageimage

Comments