Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The case of the cooling brisket – Hypothesis 1

Options
2»

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    You go to the main forum page and click 'flat view'. This thread is over 1300 views. There must be something interesting to people in this thread! ;)
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    I agree 100% Ron. Redonk!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Maybe we need to start a couple of threads denouncing the Stoker and CyberQ, something concrete in our Luddite zeal.
  • Big Knife
    Big Knife Posts: 35
    Options
    Tweev-tip wrote:
    I was just thinking about that during my drive home. At least the part about how I was implying that physical (which are reversible) reaction with a chemical reaction that are not (you can't unfry an egg).

I don't really see how the rendering of fats could be considered an endothermic reaction though... To me it's a heat based chemical reaction akin to frying an egg that results in a permanent change in composition. Could you provide a similar and comparable process?

What part about my logic flow didn't hold water for you? I thought it seemed quite reasonable.

Thanks for being civil.

I think you're still mixing the two components of the system; 1) melting of fats (which is akin to the heating water example you gave earlier) and 2) the hydrolysis of collagen (protein).

Collagen + Water ---> Gelatin

Now the question: Is heat released or absorbed during this reaction?
  • Unknown
    Options
    I was surprised you would expect a drop at all, but after careful thought - I could see how it could happen with the processes described above.

3F sounds more likely than the 7-10 cited elsewhere. Sorry it took so long to reply.
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Unknown... I read your thread... It all makes perfect sense to me. An object in a 225 degree Enviroment cannot fall in temperature. No way, no how, can't happen. Your frustration is you are dealing with simple minded people that are not on your level of knowledge and the hard facts of thermodynamics. To these guy's that can cook without their temp gauges and can tell a steak's doneness by touch and instinct they have NO clue what you are trying to explain to them. You need to do what I did... Just leave these simple minded people to do what they do. This is a good old boy's club that makes really stupid jokes about meaningless stuff. If you threaten them with real facts they get defensive and mean. The members with the most numbers by their names are the worst... They like nailing the newbie's on this forum to let them know who is in control. Don't waste your time on this site... Just lurk, don't sign in. There is good information here but putting up with these fools is intolerable. Lurking is better than trying to figure these fools out... They could make this a good and profitable website but they have no clue or interest in making that happen.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I like meatheads article from amazing ribs, reposted below. Great article that goes into evaporative cooling and bath temp. Plateau looks like evaporative cooling, that why a crutch or higher temps can get past it. Note, lots of competition cooks have raised their temps to 300, less evaporation means moister brisket.

The article surely does explain how a body can cook off around higher temp surrounding...evaporation! The body is surely losing heat as water evaporates.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/987719

I'm open to collogen transforms and whatnot, but these are good tests he runs.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Some people need more beers.
    This is an egg not a lab. Publish your paper after your get the lab results.
    Please try to keep it light and just relax and enjoy the egg.
    Brampton, Ontario

• sumoconnell
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I'll drink to that! (Insert: that escalated quickly image)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    This thread is from 3 years ago
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Wow!! Way to bring up a dead thread. I'm shocked to see that @HogHeaven is actually disagreeing with his beloved Meathead on whether the temp of a brisket can drop during the cook. I don't need no fancy explanation on the how and why, but I can tell you that I have seen plenty of my briskets fall 2, 3 even 5 degrees before when it hit the plateau. Maybe I'm somehow breaking some laws of physics and thermodynamics when I cook a brisket. BTW, I've had those results in both the Egg and smokers with offset fire boxes.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• sumoconnell
    Options
    Wow is right!  I didn't notice that..(bump)