Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

to pan or not to pan? drip pan that is

Options

I've been reading all I can find on ribs, but I just realized I've forgotten about the use or lack of, a drip pan. I'm almost ready to try my first batch of  ribs tomorrow (Beef back ribs and pork ribs). I'm thinking indirect with CI grill sitting on plate setter, legs up. Starting at 250 and going to 300 for about 3.5 hours. Foiling at 160F.

Anyways I'm wondering if i need something like a drip pan or foil on the platesetter?  My concern is that last time I used foil with chicken, there was too much flame hitting the chicken.  Or just let the juices run down on the platesetter. I'm putting the ribs sideways in the BGE v shaped wire rack.

People say that Television is bad for you.  It's that bloody Fridge, that's killing me.

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    If I dont use a drip pan I cover my plate setter with foil. Heard stories of drippings causing heavy black smoke on next cook if its a high heat pizza cook. I just dont chance it.

Little Rock, AR

• hotwheels
    hotwheels Posts: 73
    Options
    Thanks. I did not know about the black smoke issue. Perhaps I'll put a small rock in the middle of the plate setter and wrap with tinfoil so the juices run off.

People say that Television is bad for you.  It's that bloody Fridge, that's killing me.

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I have a woo and use a pizza stone beneath the grill.  I cover the pizza stone with foil and make a drip pan out of aluminum foil to set on top the stone.  Ribs (and chicken and some other meats) drop a lot fat.  Best to collect it in a drip pan.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • hotwheels
    Options

IJust curious, how come you don't just let the fat run down off the stone into the fire,.  I assume the flames are too far away from the food.

• WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Options
    in my research and limited experience, drip pan is always smart on low n slow but the debate revolves around liquid (apple juice or water) in that pan or not. 

either way, i dont want drippings all over my ps or coals.

good luck with your cook!
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Best bet is to use a drip pan with spacers underneath to prevent acrid smoke in your lump or on your platesetter

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hotwheels
    Options

That makes sense to me. A big thanks to all. Tomorrow I hope to impress my guests with some smoked ribs after a few toutins for appetizers. I'm off to get some sleep