Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Temp at Hour 16

Options
Chicago Wine Geek
Chicago Wine Geek Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're 16 hours into the low and slow at 225 with a 9 1/2 lb butt. BBQ Guru says that I'm still over 40 degrees away from my 200 target. Any worries yet? Need to eat at 5:30 or 6pm.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Chicago Wine Geek,[p]You are doing fine. A Butt that size could take up to 19 hours. I did an 8.5 pounder and it took around 15 to 16 hours at a grid temp of around 235. Don't fully rely on the guru temp probe, I'd check it with another thermometer at the 18 hour mark. Make sure you measure far away from the bone as well as the meat around it. Make sure to let it sit before pulling.[p]Here's a pic of my last one.[p]butt.jpg[p]Happy eating!
  • Chicago Wine Geek,[p]At the time of your post, you had less than 6 hours to go and your butt hadn't even gotten to the transition zone assuming it was at 160 internal and then this butt does need some cooler time for the juice to redistribute so there is no way it will make it. [p]Dave

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Chicago Wine Geek,[p]If you absolutely positively have to eat that pork butt at 5:30 - 6:00, I'd wrap it in foil with a cup of apple juice or beer and crank up the grate temp to 275 - 300. By doing so you will be forcing it through the plateau. If it reaches your desired 190-200 internal before time to eat then let it rest in the cooler before pulling.
    Since you've already cooked it 16 hours you will have good smoke and bark and the pork will be good but it will not have the same texture in the end as slowly coaxing through the plateau.
    Good luck.... I'll bet everyone will think it turned out great.
    John

• Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ ,[p]Just popped the top and inserted the Maverick probe as well. We'll see what that reads in an hour.

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Chicago Wine Geek,[p]I'm guessing you are on Central time zone, so you should have another three to four hours left. If you aren't someplace like 165-175, you might be eating late. [p]Also, remember some folks pull it from the heat when it hits 190 to 195. When it hits 190, Dr. BBQ suggests checking if it's tender and the bone is sticking out. If so, take it off and let it rest 1/2 hour. [p]Also, see WooDoggies post re wrapping and pushing through rendering stage. I try to give myself a 2 to 3 hour margin of error on large butts, so I haven't needed to "push" yet. I wrap 'em and hold in a warm cooler.[p]Hope it works out OK.
  • Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ ,[p]I realized I'd been cooking a little low. What does everyone do butts at? I did this one at 225, but I notice others that do theirs at 250. I've got my Egg up to 250 now, and internal shows 172. 3:05 CST.

• Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    186 degrees and approaching 22 hours....
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Chicago Wine Geek,[p]Just got back from lunch at Woodies Chili dogs. Sorry to hear it's going so slow as I know your serving window just opened up. Check it for tenderness. I read your 186 temp post. Hopefully, you are either about to enjoy it or you are doing so.[p]I'm guessing you are/were going by dome temp. Correct? If so, your actual grid cooking temp will be 25 to 50 degrees below that. When I cook butts, I go by a 235 grid temperature. The dome temp is higher by 50+ degrees at the start of the cook and almost the same at the end of the cook. Please let us know how it turned out. :-)
  • Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    Fdaypics2017.jpg
    <p />BabyBoomBBQ,[p]And somehow, after 22 1/2 hours, it all turned out ok.....

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Chicago Wine Geek,[p]Looks great! Glad it worked out so well! :-)[p]