Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Romaine Salad

Options
Wow. This salad gets better and better. I think this might be the best thing on the egg. I grilled the romaine (salt, pepper, parm cheese, and EVOO), fresh strawberries and blackberries, mushrooms, feta cheese, and grilled chicken (grilled with a few hunks of pecan which always gives it a fanastic flavor). Really a very nice dish.

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Great plated picture -- grilled salads are becoming popular and healthy, thanks for sharing!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    We are now addicted to grilled romaine! Beside the mushrooms, yours looks good :) Did you grill it with the parmesan?

Options
    Thanks for the nice feedback. Yes i grilled with parmesan on it. Fantastic. I suck at pizzas. goign to try flat bread friday night. probably be a disaster like every other time. Any suggestons would be appreciated
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    We've tried grilled romaine a couple times now and it's always lousy. What temp and how long do you do this? Really want to get this working.

Cheers all-
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @Black_Badger we use romaine hearts and grill them @ ~400F for 60-90 seconds per side. We had success with temperatures ranging from 300F-500F.  Romaine hearts are much better than full romaine. Go easy on the olive oil because you do not want the drippings to catch fire and give a nasty taste.  Coarse salt is another requirement if you ask me.  I like the idea of grilling with the parmesan.  I will try that next time.

Carolina Q just set me straight on pizza because i was ready to give up. Put your plate setter in legs down, put two or three bricks side ways on the setter and your stone on top of that. The two things that helped me the most were the bricks to get hot air under the stone and pre heating. Getnyour egg to 475 or 500 and let it sit there for a while so your stone is nice and hot. I also cook my dough for 2-3 minutes before i put the toppings on. I am no expert but this is what i have learned through recent pizza failures. I made a pretty good one tonight. Once you get it you're just tweaking things amd getting better. I cant wait to try your grillex salad recipe!
    When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!
  • onesaxplayer
    Options
    Not perfect but this was my first successful pizza. Stone is 4" off platesetter and heated to a solid 475.
    When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    There is always a way to get it high up in the dome ,, nice looking..
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    paqman said:
    @Black_Badger we use romaine hearts and grill them @ ~400F for 60-90 seconds per side. We had success with temperatures ranging from 300F-500F.  Romaine hearts are much better than full romaine. Go easy on the olive oil because you do not want the drippings to catch fire and give a nasty taste.  Coarse salt is another requirement if you ask me.  I like the idea of grilling with the parmesan.  I will try that next time.
    Agreed, like the hearts. By accident, discovered that shaved Romano on the cut side melts right into the split heart in about 20-30 seconds. Also - I use a Misto to get the EVOO onto the lettuce, just enough to do the job. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!