Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tried a new Spatchcocked Chicken seasoning!!

Options
Charlie tuna
Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Cooked a couple of brined local fresh chickens and used a new seasoning that came out very good.  Picked this stuff up at Sam's Club, called "MOJITO LIME" and is made by McCormick.  It is one of their "Grill Mates" products.  I brined the chickens for 24 hours, rinsed , then applied the seasoning eight hours before spatchcocking them, along with fresh corn, squash and sweet potato.  Cooked the chicken over the squash and allowed the drippings to fall into the squash.  This seasoning goes well with poultry since it has a little citrus taste in iitit. image

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks great Charlie.  That seasoning sounds tasty. I will be on the lookout for it.  I bet the squash was to die for.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    The girls loved the butternut squash, i did acorn squash also, that will get tested tonight - i don't eat the "stuff" -- meat and potatoes here!!  The corn really came out good -- just cleaned it and add a teaspoon of butter - wrapped it in foil, cooked for an hour around 375 degrees! 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Great looking birds, Charlie!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    What was your brine, Charlie?
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I buy my brine from a restaurant supply.  It's something made for broasting chicken, "broasting" is pressure frying.  This "stuff" is called "chickite".  It is a salt base, with some other secret ingredients???  I haven't brined my chicken with any other product, so i can't compare it to anything.  But it certainly makes a big difference in the finished product.  Myron Mixon is going to try some in an upcoming competition!?  It like draws the rich flavor from the chicken??
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Thanks for posting Charlie. Will look into it.
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Options
    Looks great! I'm due for a spatchcock . Thanks for the reminder!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice job, Charlie.  Wow you have that egg packed down!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Nice job, Charlie.  Wow you have that egg packed down!!!
    With all this talk about "the best lump", forum members have me worried, and i'm trying to be as efficient as possible.
    :)]
  • kcd124
    kcd124 Posts: 3
    Options
    Charlie - I'm a newbie and was wondering why the foil on the rim of the egg? Thanks
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I use a piece of foil as a drip pan to protect my platesetter and keep it clean, instead of a pan.  Easier, just wad up the foil, let it cool a minute after the cook and toss it in the garbage.  Cost less than a nickle.image
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I bet the squash was to die for.  
    This.  Stealing your idea!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• smitherspoon
    Options
    Mojito lime is very good on chicken. It is pretty much my go to. Everyone that has tried it has loved it. Costco has been carrying it the past year or so. In fact I just got done making a Mexican inspired brine that includes that seasoning for a spatched bird.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Beautiful, CT - Indirect - How long and what temp? Time on squash as well?
    Milton, GA.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    This is the beginning of the cook.  Indirect, three tiered grid using only two of the grids.  Corn cleaned and a teaspoon of butter - wrapped in foil (45 to 60 minutes to cook).  Two types of squash, butternut and acorn Halfed facing up to catch chicken broth (45 to 60 minutes to cook).  Baked potato and sweet potato, cleaned poked many times with a fork, covered with EVO and heavy kosher salt, then wrapped in foil (45 to 60 minutes to cook).  Two three pound spatchcocked chickens, brined for 24 hours in "chickite", rinsed and seasoned McCormicks "Grill Masters" Mojito Lime.  All the products cooked at about 375 degrees for one hour.  Chicken was pulled when breats reached 165 degrees and thighs 185 degrees. image
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    This is the beginning of the cook.  Indirect, three tiered grid using only two of the grids.  Corn cleaned and a teaspoon of butter - wrapped in foil (45 to 60 minutes to cook).  Two types of squash, butternut and acorn Halfed facing up to catch chicken broth (45 to 60 minutes to cook).  Baked potato and sweet potato, cleaned poked many times with a fork, covered with EVO and heavy kosher salt, then wrapped in foil (45 to 60 minutes to cook).  Two three pound spatchcocked chickens, brined for 24 hours in "chickite", rinsed and seasoned McCormicks "Grill Masters" Mojito Lime.  All the products cooked at about 375 degrees for one hour.  Chicken was pulled when breats reached 165 degrees and thighs 185 degrees. image
    Love It.  Time for me to get an AR and I will try.
    Milton, GA.