Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Swordfish (pictures)

NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,116
edited June 2013 in Seafood
We'll be adding swordfish steaks to our list of easy weeknight dinners.

Swordfish on the Big Green Egg

I thought I hated it because the one time I ate it in a restaurant, it was A W F U L.

Luckily, my local fish store talked me into grilling a few up.

I marinaded them in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and minced garlic.

And cooked direct at about 500F for 4-5 minutes on each side.

I really liked them!  I'd like to try a few different marinades and maybe a dry rub? How do y'all cook them?

More info & pictures HERE.

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,046
    I love swordfish, good choice!  It doesn't need much - grill it like a steak and don't hide the incredible flavor of the fish.

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,368
    Looks great Kristi.  Beautiful pics as always. 

I have done this recipe several times and it is really good:

It has been a few years since I made it- pre-egg days. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • WalrusBBQWalrusBBQ Posts: 151
    Those look DELICIOUS

Also, fantastic shots. Thanks
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

·
  • NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,116
    Thanks, @SmokeyPitt, I love the Island Salsa idea!
    ·
  • wbradkingwbradking Posts: 185
    I like to marinade in soy sauce, lime juice, garlic and ginger.  Haven't had swordfish in a while, I need to grill some up soon!
    Franklin, TN Large BGE
    ·
  • lilwootylilwooty Posts: 210
    edited June 2013
    Love swordfish, but I can't stand it if it is over cooked. The trick for me is never cook it past medium. I grill it very simply with just salt and pepper and serve it up with a nice mango salsa. Good stuff.

Living Large and XL

·
  • Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 565
    What internal temp to pull it?
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,141
    My favorite fish topping (goes great with swordfish too):  1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 finely minced chipotle pepper, and about a tablespoon of honey; mix.  The honey and/or the mayo deaden the pepper, its not hot at all but very savory, great with any non-oily fish (ie avoid trout, catfish, mackeral et al).  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,357
    For me just s/p and lemon after taking it off the grill. I love swordfish. Looks great
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 771
    Blackened
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,875
    what's that grate called again?
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,286
    I love swordfish when I am near the ocean. Here not so much. Great looking cook!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    edited June 2013
    BYS1981 said:
    what's that grate called again?
    @BYS1981: ; It is the 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack from Ceramic Grill Works -- http://ceramicgrillworks.com/products-page/product-category/large-2-tier-adjustable-swing-rack-system/

·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 565
    I didn't see what's in the island salsa so this might fall in that category. I agree with Nola on letting the flavors come out. I'd try a lighter acid .. I like lime and cilantro .. you could add diced mango or pineapple with red onion and red pepper.
    ·
  • Big RaguBig Ragu Posts: 146

Nice looking cook.....  right up my alley.  simple-fresh

never seen that grate.  Like the wider surface.  Where did you find?

·
    ·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    lilwooty said:
    Love swordfish, but I can't stand it if it is over cooked. The trick for me is never cook it past medium. I grill it very simply with just salt and pepper and serve it up with a nice mango salsa. Good stuff.
    Agree. It can dry out in a hurry if you're not careful.

@NecessaryIndulg, do you feel like the marinade help retain the moisture in the fish?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I love swordfish on the BGE.  I recently made paste I put on the swordfish for about 30 minutes prior to cooking.  Several handfuls of cilantro (probably 2 cups worth), about 1/4 cup cocunut oil, and several cloves of garlic.  I threw that into a food processor to make a paste and applied it liberally over the swordfish.  Near the end of the cook, I added a little more to the top at the end.  It turned out delicious.
    Pittsburgh, PA
    ·
    edited June 2013
    lilwooty said:
    Agree. It can dry out in a hurry if you're not careful.

@NecessaryIndulg, do you feel like the marinade help retain the moisture in the fish?
    Hard to tell, @TexanOfTheNorth. ; I haven't made it enough to know, but I think the trick is to not overcook it.   Also, this fish was fresh and never frozen -- I think that has a lot to do with it, too.

Thank you, @trup0241, that sounds like it's right up my alley!
    ·
  • BayaradBayarad Posts: 288
    Loved the look of that so much we're trying it tonight with some grilled zucchini and broccoli slaw! It's in the marinade now, and thanks for the inspiration Kristi!
    ·
  • Looks fantastic!  
    Large, Medium, and Mini BGE, a few accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter and powdery snow. 
    ·
  • Looks fantastic!  
    Large, Medium, and Mini BGE, a few accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter and powdery snow. 
    ·
    edited June 2013
    Bayarad said:
    Loved the look of that so much we're trying it tonight with some grilled zucchini and broccoli slaw! It's in the marinade now, and thanks for the inspiration Kristi!
    @Bayarad -- Can't wait to hear about it!
    ·
  • BayaradBayarad Posts: 288
    Turned out great sorry not many pics! Marinated as you suggested Kristi for about an hour in a freezer bag just salt pepper a half cup of evoo a quarter cup traditional Modelo Balsamic vinegar and four minced cloves of garlic! Zucchini was halved lengthwise, rubbed with evoo, and seasoned with salt, pepper and a little bit of Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin, brought grill to about 450 since I was grilling at the top of the fire ring,and went four minutes a side with alder chips and cooked direct. Broccoli slaw was store bought, and tarter sauce was Hoffman House mixed with a tablespoon of Emerils kick it up red pepper sauce! Delicious! One plated pick, and thanks again Kristi!
    ·
  • Greetings-

Used your recipe this evening, turned out great, thanks for sharing. The simplicity of the spicing was really nice. I ended up at about 475-520 degrees since I am still working on keeping a constant temperature but it was cooked through. Thanks again and have a great week!

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    LBGE + cedar table
    ·
  • Glad you enjoyed it, @ChrisgrillsSTLMO!  Thank you for letting me know! :) 
    ·