Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Meatloaf

bcran
bcran Posts: 37

Started with the recipe found here and improvised a little bit:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1150099/al-s-egged-meatloaf#latest

Turned out excellent.  Wife said it was the best she's ever had.  I would agree.  Tender but firm, nice little crust on the outside and GREAT flavor.  Best part was the meatloaf sandwich I had for lunch today! 

BBQ Meatloaf: 

2 lbs. ground beef (80/20)

1 cup milk

1 egg

1 package Stove Top Stuffing

½ can diced tomatoes

Favor with (or your preference):

Lawry’s seasoned salt

Lawry’s seasoned pepper

Garlic powder

Minced onion flakes

Combine all ingredients, form into a loaf in a foil pan, sprayed with Pam.

Sprinkle with rub of your choice, I used the BGE Down and Dizzy

Drizzle with your choice of BBQ sauce, I used Big Daddy’s Mild (http://www.bigdaddysbbq.net/sauces.aspx)

Cook at 375-400 indirect, plate setter legs up with grid, to 165 internal temp.  Took about 45 minutes.

Temp got a little high on me while we were putting the baby to bed, was shooting for 375.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    That is really nice and NOTHING is better than next day meatloaf sandwiches.  Just for grins the next one if will hold togather lose the pan or after about 20/30 min in pan take out if holding togather so can get that crusted all the way around.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Looks delicious.  Love BGE meatloaf, leftovers are just as good.  Somebody mentioned awile back to form your meatloaf and put it in the fridge for a few hours and it will hold it's shape better out of the pan.  It's worked for me.  This might be on the weekend menu plan.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Mickey said:
      Just for grins the next one if will hold togather lose the pan or after about 20/30 min in pan take out if holding togather so can get that crusted all the way around.
    +1, wont go back to a pan after doing that.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Line your pan with plastic wrap and form your loaf. Put it into the fridge for a bit and then onto the grill. PS take off the plastic wrap.
  • bcran
    bcran Posts: 37
    edited June 2013
     tazcrash said:
    Mickey said:
      Just for grins the next one if will hold togather lose the pan or after about 20/30 min in pan take out if holding togather so can get that crusted all the way around.
    +1, wont go back to a pan after doing that.

Good call, will definitely try that next time!