Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First South Carolina (in Michigan) Ribs on the BGE

Maizeandbrew18
Maizeandbrew18 Posts: 69
edited June 2013 in Pork
So, I took the plunge and got my first large BGE last week.  Naturally, I played around with it as soon as I got it but it didn't take long for me to want to dive into something low and slow.  My wife is from South Carolina and I have become a huge fan of the cuisine of the low-country:  she-crab soup, gumbo, oysters, boiled peanuts..and finally...BBQ.  The wife requested some baby back ribs last weekend so I dove in!

I coated a rack and a half of baby back ribs in mustard and Dizzy Dust Swamp Venom the morning of, for about 4 hours.  I had wanted to do this longer but I didn't get a chance to get the rub until the morning of.  I also soaked large chunks of apple and cherry for about 4 hours.  I set up a water bottle 1/2 apple cider and 1/2 apple cider vinegar and set the egg for 225* after calibrating the BGE thermometer.  I had purchased (now returned) a Chef Companion dual-gauge thermometer on a whim that didn't do a THING for me.  I don't recommend buying this.  I have now ordered a Maverick that should come shortly.  So basically, I went off the BGE thermometer for the entire process.

So I tossed the ribs on around 1:00pm at 250* with the setter in and wood chunks around the outside of the setter.  

After monitoring the BGE for a good hour (2:00pm), I sprayed once with the mixture of apple cider and vinegar and took my chances and left the egg after it settled at 250*.  This was extremely tough for me seeing how it was my first smoke but I let it go to see what happened.  I figured I'd do it with a rack of baby backs for my wife and I over a brisket for 6-10 people.

I came back 4 hours later around 6:00pm, sprayed it down and wrapped it in foil for an hour and then finally on the grate directly for another 45 minutes basting with Carolina Cologne (http://carolinacologne.com/).  I did the toothpick test toward and end and concluded that they were finished.

Turned out great!  The Swamp Venom has some definite kick but we were extremely pleased with how they turned out for my first real smoke on the BGE.

However, learning is the fun part of this and if I could do it over again I would use a stronger smoke to help balance/hide out the heat of the Swamp Venom.  I might go for cherry/pecan next time.  Other than that, it worked out well!

imageimage
Large BGE
Lexington, SC

Comments