Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ozark Oak in Austin, Texas Area

Hi all.  The only place I have seen OO in Austin is at BBQ Outfitters on 620.  It is priced at $10 per 10 lb. bag.  I am able to get RO at WalMart (hate that place) significantly cheaper ($10 for a 17 lb. bag).  I do prefer OO, however the price difference drives me to stay with RO.  Is anyone aware of another place in or around Austin that sells OO a bit cheaper?
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited June 2013
    Given your dislike of WW (I am firmly in your camp) you may look for another place that has RO-it also comes as a generic lump for many grocery store brands...(Good thing WW isn't the only lump supplier or I would have to improvise!)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited June 2013
    They always have given buy several and get it for $?? When I started buying there I think it was about $5.00. Bob normally gives a discount for multi-bags of 00. And that is the only place I have seen it in Austin.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Nope. It's $10 and that's the deal.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    TEggSun said:
    Hi all.  The only place I have seen OO in Austin is at BBQ Outfitters on 620.  It is priced at $10 per 10 lb. bag.  I am able to get RO at WalMart (hate that place) significantly cheaper ($10 for a 17 lb. bag).  I do prefer OO, however the price difference drives me to stay with RO.  Is anyone aware of another place in or around Austin that sells OO a bit cheaper?
    OO is 14.99 for a 10lb bag in Atlanta it could be worse.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Arbucklej
    Arbucklej Posts: 90
    x2 on ten bones but royal vs ozark and ozark wins...talk to them about a bulk buy maybe they can help...still goon stock up on wgww when i can

• Arbucklej said:

x2 on ten bones but royal vs ozark and ozark wins...talk to them about a bulk buy maybe they can help...still goon stock up on wgww when i can

Arbucklej said:

They do like $9 on a pallet buy (60 bags).
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    My friend at CB Hardware in Cedar Park has done $7 bags of Ozark Oak for forum members before. I can ask him to do it again if you're interested.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Thanks, all.  

@hoffmand, I'm definitely interested provided I won't have to rent a storage unit for a huge bulk buy.  :-)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited June 2013
    hoffmand said:
    My friend at CB Hardware in Cedar Park has done $7 bags of Ozark Oak for forum members before. I can ask him to do it again if you're interested.

please do- i know I didn't take advantage of this before but i"ll take 50 bags right now.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    hoffmand said:

please do- i know I didn't take advantage of this before but i"ll take 50 bags right now.
    +1 I'm in... group buy time!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    I'd be interested also.  I'm finishing up the last of my WGWW and I have some Central Market and OO to try.  I didn't think $10 a bag at BBQ Outfitters was a bad price (about the same price per LB as I paid for WGWW a year ago from ACE).  I have nothing against Walmart and Royal Oak is my backup lump.  But if OO is really better than RO I don't mind spending the extra for it.  Kind of like buying Prime over Choice steaks.  Now, getting Prime on sale is even better...
  • I'm interested if it happens in August!
    Gittin' there...
  • hoffmand
    edited June 2013
    Ok, he's game for another forum deal on Ozark Oak.  His cost has gone up a little since the last group buy but he said he can still do 10 lb bags for $7 cash or check, $8 for credit cards since cc fees add up fast.  You can buy 1 bag or 50 bags, same price.   The deal is good through July 4th.

The store is CB Hardware www.cbhardware.com  in Cedar Park, off 183 on Cypress Creek Blvd.  Chuck is the guy who set this up (it's his family's store).  He also has some medium SS grids in stock for people that bought the grid extender.  He might have some of the grid extenders in stock too.  The store is open 8-4 during the week.  

Dave
    Cedar Park, TX
  • TEggSun
    Great stuff, @hoffmand.  I'm going tomorrow.  Does he have them on hand now?  

• TEggSun
    Thanks for arranging this, by the way.  

• hoffmand
    TEggSun said:
    Great stuff, @hoffmand.  I'm going tomorrow.  Does he have them on hand now?  
    Sure does.  He stocks pallets of it.  
    Cedar Park, TX
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    edited June 2013
    Great!  Looking forward to going next Monday or Tuesday
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    That's where I have been getting mine from I've talked to him a few times, nice guy. So just show up and ask for the egghead forum discount before july 4? 
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    With all you guys buying up Ozark Oak, I had to get a few more bags just to be on the safe side!
  • hoffmand
    newby84 said:

That's where I have been getting mine from I've talked to him a few times, nice guy. So just show up and ask for the egghead forum discount before july 4? 

Yup, that's it.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    hoffmand said:
    me too. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • TEggSun
    @hoffmand, does Chuck visit this forum?

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I think if I put the egg in the sun I might not need lump to get to 225 this weekend!

Thanks Chuck if you are on the forum - looking forward to the pics of cars loaded with OO.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • July 4th?

Crap. Stupid deployment... #-o
    Gittin' there...
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Thanks for organizing, I'm in.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • hoffmand
    TEggSun said:
    @hoffmand, does Chuck visit this forum?

No, I don't think so.  He's pretty busy with the business.  At his house he's got two eggs and no gas grill so he's definitely passionate about eggs.

Cedar Park, TX
  • hoffmand
    July 4th?

Crap. Stupid deployment... #-o
    I'm sure that won't be a problem.  Just go to the store when you get back and he'll take care of you.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

hoffmand said:

What? I guess you'll buy lump anywhere... And here I thought we had something special . You make me feel like a lulump whore.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TEggSun
    Just got back from CB Hardware in Cedar Park with 15 bags of OO @ $7 per.  They are really great folks over there.  Thanks again, @hoffmand for the connection.

• hoffmand
    TEggSun said:

Just got back from CB Hardware in Cedar Park with 15 bags of OO @ $7 per.  They are really great folks over there.  Thanks again, @hoffmand for the connection.

I'm headed over there later today to get a few bags too. Hopefully Cen-Tex hasn't cleaned them out yet.
    :)
    Cedar Park, TX