Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL - 1/2 moon CI grate with Adjustable Rig

GATABITES
GATABITES Posts: 1,260
edited June 2013 in Forum Feedback
I bought the 1/2 moon CI grate for my XL 2-3 weeks ago. I bought this before I had been exposed to the A/R. If I get the A/R, will I have a use for the 1/2 moon CI grate or will it remain in the lower portion of my table and collect dust? 

I cant think of a way to use the A/R and the 1/2 moon CI. You all are much smarter than I. Any advice/suggestions? I want to make use of the $50 in spent. 
XL BGE 
Joe JR 
Baltimore, MD

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    There is no wrong or right way to use accessories IMO. Play around with it and find something you like. I could see a use for it for sure. You prob got it for its ability to give you a great sear, right? Just set it in top of your standard grate and you will still get the sear. Some others will have more creative answers
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • GATABITES
    I got it for the sear but with the adjustable rig i can sear closer to the fire which would all but eliminate my need for the 1/2 moon cast iron. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • JaredMD
    JaredMD Posts: 59
    I've got a spider that sits down in my firebox with a BGE cast iron grate on it (full, not half moon, but I'm sure half moon would work), then AR on top of that where I mainly use the top rack for raised cooking until it's time to pop the rig off and sear on the cast iron.. the combo of raised direct and then close sear on cast iron is great..
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    JaredMD said:

I've got a spider that sits down in my firebox with a BGE cast iron grate on it (full, not half moon, but I'm sure half moon would work), then AR on top of that where I mainly use the top rack for raised cooking until it's time to pop the rig off and sear on the cast iron.. the combo of raised direct and then close sear on cast iron is great..

Exact same setup for me. Nice combo.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • JaredMD
    edited June 2013
    You know, now that I think about it, your half moon isn't going to work with a spider or woo that would have it sit down in the fire box, because it's the full size XL half moon meant to sit atop the fire ring, isn't it?  The setup I'm referring to has a smaller (18") grate than would normally be used on the XL sitting down on the spider.

Well.. you could certainly sit it on the fire ring and throw your AR on top of that, you might need to compensate for the wiggling with a few pieces of balled up foil on the end of the fire ring opposite the cast iron.. but the effect will still be the same.. the cast iron will sit on the fire ring close to the lump while you cook raised higher on the AR.. when it's time to sear, pop the rig off, open the vents, and sear away on your cast iron that's been heating the whole time
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • JaredMD
    edited June 2013
    You might be able to wedge the half moon between the fire box and the fire ring, again compensating on the other end between ring and box with something of the same height as the cast iron.. I don't know how safe this'd be and given the slope of the lower end of the egg the half moon may not fit when dropped to the level of the fire box..  

I'm just spit balling here, probably not helpful :)
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • GATABITES
    @jaredmd - Yeah that's what I concluded. The 1/2 moon may not get as much use if I use the Rig for its intended purpose. I guess I would have to purchase and when it arrives I can tinker. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD