Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Rib spritz

henapplehenapple Posts: 14,433
I know many of y'all don't but those that do... What do you use? If you foil, what do you add?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,821
    I have spritzed. I gave it up for lent.

Half apple cider vinager/half allegro hot and spicy.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,128
    i just cook my ribs dry for myself and family but if im doing a big rib cook i do the sticky ribs in foil staying close to drbbq's method, it seems to go over well with bigger crowds
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/features/championship-ribs/
    ·
  • sancho65sancho65 Posts: 96
    @henapple I dont normally spritz, when I do foil I put Parkay, honey and brown sugar meat side down in the foil for about a hour for a sticky wet rib!! I myself like the dry ones!!
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
    ·
  • sharhammsharhamm Posts: 255
    If I spritz ...1/2 apple juice, 1/2 vinegar
    ·
  • 70chevelle70chevelle Posts: 278
    I mix up 1/3 apple cider vinegar, 1/3 Sweet Baby Rays (or fav), and 1/3 Franks Original.  I put some in the foil during that period and then baste a few times when I unfoil for the last hour +-. 
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,277
    sharhamm said:

Same here for spritz if I feel they are drying out some.

No foil for me EVER. Original plan is always 4-0-1 and adjust from there. Last time I went 4.5-0-1

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,558
    So chubbs is 4-0-1 mean 4 hrs indirect than 1 hour direct with some saucing no foil step ?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,082
    Much depends on the rib cut. BB not so much, SLS always spritzed. Rub is pretty heavy so spritz is 3 parts apple juice and 1 part apple cider vinegar. Moisture only to work with the sugar in the rub. Temps at 225-275.
    If I foil, whatever old white wine is in the fridge, mixed with a touch of apple juice. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,436
    I've only spritzed once.  It was a combination of apple cider and Basil Hayden bourbon.
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280
    If I spritz I do it for additional flavor layers. I usually use citrus like pineapple juice or orange juice I don't cut it with anything and I usually do it with a spicy rub for some contrast
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    sharhamm said:

Me too?

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • I'm spritzing right now!  A combination cook of BB and SLS ribs.  Using Martinelli's apple cider.  I will finish with Stubbs....soon! 

Dave KI4PSR
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,433
    @Dave_Matthews... Want to try a bag of Ozark Oak?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,277
    So chubbs is 4-0-1 mean 4 hrs indirect than 1 hour direct with some saucing no foil step ?

The formula is: 4 hrs unfoiled -- 0 hrs foiled-- 1 hr sauced. They are cooked indirect the entire time for me.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • henapple said:
    @Dave_Matthews... Want to try a bag of Ozark Oak?
    Sure!  I live near Nolensville, and I now work in LaVergne.  cell is 615-830-5304, but doesn't always work in the big building in Lavergne.  Love to try a bag! 

Dave KI4PSR
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·
  • AltonAlton Posts: 432
    Two different ones.... 1/2 apple juice and 1/2 apple cider vinegar . .....1/2 Markers Mark and 1/2 apple cider vinegar
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·
  • Que_n_BrewQue_n_Brew Posts: 560
    1 part bourbon, 1 part honey, 3 parts sprite
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·