Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good

I bought two bags of Wicked Good about a month and the first bag was great but the second bag was a pain in the lower unit. During two long cooks, I lost my fire four to five hours in the cooking with plenty of lump not yet burned. I have used several bags in the past and it is my favorite lump. I have changed nothing in how I set up the cooking, cleaned out the fIrebox, and all of the air holes on the sides. Has any one had this issue? Inconsistency has not been an issue in the past and just curious.

Comments

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    My experience is similar to yours.  Wicked Good has been inconsistent.  I have been very happy with Royal Oak (available at Walmart in our area).  The best source of charcoal information is Naked Whiz's remarkable database:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    WGWW-I have had recent issues with the quality of lump in the new blue labeled bags.  The old style packaging (red print) consistently yielded large peices and not much dust or shake.  I'm on my third bag of the blue labeled WGWW andf every bag has had around 25-30% small pieces (less than half-dollar in diameter) and much more dust and shake.  In my limited world the quality has gone south to the point where I will go back to generic RO.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Hate to hear of the quality decline.   I used to be such a fan of the product.   Oh well, times change.
    Cookin in Texas
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited June 2013
    I bought wicked good with my egg purchase in may. My very first low n slow (ribs) the fire goes out about 2.5 hours into my cook. I haven't bought a bag since. I did use the WG on other cooks and it was fine. It just takes a long time to start. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Ozark Oak rules
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    what is the best way to purchase ozark oak? 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

Cheapest way to get ozark oak if you aren't in an area where its available is grillstuff.com. Buy $100 worth and you get free shipping its $10.95 a bag of 10 lbs. If you are an amazon prime member there is a lump called Fogo that I have had good luck with that is $41 for a 35 lb bad. The Fogo is like wicked good but even bigger pieces.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    great thanks.  I was at the checkout on www.BBQguys.com now (bags are under $10 but shipping is $6.92) but I will do a little more research. 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @NDG I think you need to spend over 250 to get free shipping from them.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

My local ACE hardware has OO.  If yours doesnt, they may be able to order it for you.

Cookin in Texas
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    NDG said:

great thanks.  I was at the checkout on www.BBQguys.com now (bags are under $10 but shipping is $6.92) but I will do a little more research. 

Where are you located?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • beaudreaux
    beaudreaux Posts: 23
    The lump size was not an issue, there were several large chunks, just couldn't keep it going. Put the fan back on it and the temp ran up quickly but once throttled back down, it would hold temp for quite a while and then just drop. I also tried Kamado Joe lump and pulled a 20 hour cook on a 11 pound butt, and it did a great job, held temp and there was an amazing amount of lump left after the cook.