Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Roasted Bone Marrow - Trying New Things (suggestions welcome)

In my quest for trying new and exciting things on the egg, I opted to try my hand at some roasted bone marrow.  

Whenever I usually do find bone marrow, it is cut in a circular pattern, which usually results in the marrow oozing out and making a giant mess.

Low and behold at my new favorite butcher here in Austin, Salt + Time, they sell bone marrow cut lengthwise making for super simple preparation.

Fired up the egg at about 400; roasted for about 15 minutes until they begin to separate from the bone.

Spread out on a little brioche with a simple garlic parsley salad.

Anyone else have some suggestions to help me push my culinary boundaries?
BGE in the ATX
Marrow1.jpg 106.8K
Marrow2.jpg 230.9K
Marrow3.jpg 256.8K
·

Comments

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,447
    Pretty interesting. Personally never cooked my own bone marrow, but looks like you nailed it to me.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    No other suggestion, looks fantastic. How did it come out?
    ·
  • ThieveryThievery Posts: 37
    IrishDevl said:
    No other suggestion, looks fantastic. How did it come out?
    I'll just quote Anthony Bourdain here:  “If God made butter it would taste exactly like bone marrow.”
    BGE in the ATX
    ·
    I've eaten this at restaurants and love it. Seems they keep it fairly simple like you did and let the marrow speak for itself.
    ·
    @thievery - I owe this inspiration to you. Hoping to cook it tonight.
    image.jpg 2.2M
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,060
    Oh damn! I love bone marrow. Can't find it cut lengthwise around here though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
    My butcher cut it today for me.
    ·
  • phoenix007phoenix007 Posts: 49
    What does it taste like?
    ·