Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Tandoori Chicken and Veggies

Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,581

Found a bottle of this stuff in Publix yesterday.  Mixed in some Greek Yogurt and marinated some chicken breasts in it overnight.  It was pretty good, but I've never had tandoori chicken before, so I wouldn't be the best person to ask about the quality or authenticity. 

All I have are those flat skewers with wooden handles.  So I wrapped the handles in foil and also placed a piece of foil down for a heat barrier.

Served up with some fresh zukes and squash from the garden.

·

Comments

• Looks Great!
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,877
    edited June 2013

One of my favorite dishes along with paella.  I like to have coucous or rice pilaf also as a side.  Patak is a great brand with several choices of seasonings and marinades IMHO.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=721499&catid=1

·
  • ddeggerddegger Posts: 244
    Used that before and love it. In fact,  one of Mrs eggers favorite EGG meals is tandoori chicken and naan served with a homemade chickpea salad. Yum. 
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    So Dyal, how hot was this?  Looks great..
    ·
  • milesbrown4milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Agree with @CharlieTuna I want to cook this but I think the kiddos will not eat.......last time we went to the local Indian restaurant only me and the Queen ate any food
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,061
    Looks great! Have you tried any of the Shan mixes before? They are quick and easy too. I like them a little more since they are dry mixes and so have less preservatives than pastes.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • fljoemonfljoemon Posts: 608
    Here's one way to make your own paste : http://fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?language=2&Display=10&resolution=high

BTW, when in hurry, I use this pre-made mix http://sukhis.com/products/home-chef/tandoori-marinade.php. I have had good success with it.

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
    ·
  • Rick GRick G Posts: 166
    so never having had tandoori...is it spicy??
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have a nephew who bought his egg just to make "tandoori".  Yes it can be spicy.  My problem is my MIl and wife aren't into real spicy foods and i would rather know how to prepare a dish before, rather than later that it's restaurant time??
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,343
    Looks like a good meal.  I have not seen that marinade here in Austin, but there are a few Indian markets in the area.  Will go looking for that stuff.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,581

Thanks, y'all!  Sorry this was a late response, and I hate to bump the thread back up, but I didn't want y'all to think I wasn't going to respond.  It's been a little hectic lately, so I apologize.  :-S

@Charlie_tuna and @Rick_G, this was the "mild" version of this paste.  It wasn't "spicy hot" at all, but it was packed full of spice flavor (if that makes sense?)... 

@caliking, this was the first time I've had any sort of Tandoori Chicken, so no, I haven't tried the Shan mix.  I'll have to keep my eye out for it.  :)

@fljoemon, thanks for the heads up!  :)

·