Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Rib spritz

henapplehenapple Posts: 14,252
I know many of y'all don't but those that do... What do you use? If you foil, what do you add?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,808
    I have spritzed. I gave it up for lent.

Half apple cider vinager/half allegro hot and spicy.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,963
    i just cook my ribs dry for myself and family but if im doing a big rib cook i do the sticky ribs in foil staying close to drbbq's method, it seems to go over well with bigger crowds
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/features/championship-ribs/
    ·
  • sancho65sancho65 Posts: 93
    @henapple I dont normally spritz, when I do foil I put Parkay, honey and brown sugar meat side down in the foil for about a hour for a sticky wet rib!! I myself like the dry ones!!
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
    ·
  • sharhammsharhamm Posts: 255
    If I spritz ...1/2 apple juice, 1/2 vinegar
    ·
  • 70chevelle70chevelle Posts: 278
    I mix up 1/3 apple cider vinegar, 1/3 Sweet Baby Rays (or fav), and 1/3 Franks Original.  I put some in the foil during that period and then baste a few times when I unfoil for the last hour +-. 
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,096
    sharhamm said:

Same here for spritz if I feel they are drying out some.

No foil for me EVER. Original plan is always 4-0-1 and adjust from there. Last time I went 4.5-0-1

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,554
    So chubbs is 4-0-1 mean 4 hrs indirect than 1 hour direct with some saucing no foil step ?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock? 

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,852
    Much depends on the rib cut. BB not so much, SLS always spritzed. Rub is pretty heavy so spritz is 3 parts apple juice and 1 part apple cider vinegar. Moisture only to work with the sugar in the rub. Temps at 225-275.
    If I foil, whatever old white wine is in the fridge, mixed with a touch of apple juice. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,303
    I've only spritzed once.  It was a combination of apple cider and Basil Hayden bourbon.
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio
    "REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN"
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,267
    If I spritz I do it for additional flavor layers. I usually use citrus like pineapple juice or orange juice I don't cut it with anything and I usually do it with a spicy rub for some contrast
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    sharhamm said:

Me too?

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • I'm spritzing right now!  A combination cook of BB and SLS ribs.  Using Martinelli's apple cider.  I will finish with Stubbs....soon! 

Dave KI4PSR
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,252
    @Dave_Matthews... Want to try a bag of Ozark Oak?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,096
    So chubbs is 4-0-1 mean 4 hrs indirect than 1 hour direct with some saucing no foil step ?

The formula is: 4 hrs unfoiled -- 0 hrs foiled-- 1 hr sauced. They are cooked indirect the entire time for me.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • henapple said:
    @Dave_Matthews... Want to try a bag of Ozark Oak?
    Sure!  I live near Nolensville, and I now work in LaVergne.  cell is 615-830-5304, but doesn't always work in the big building in Lavergne.  Love to try a bag! 

Dave KI4PSR
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·
  • AltonAlton Posts: 432
    Two different ones.... 1/2 apple juice and 1/2 apple cider vinegar . .....1/2 Markers Mark and 1/2 apple cider vinegar
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·
  • Que_n_BrewQue_n_Brew Posts: 558
    1 part bourbon, 1 part honey, 3 parts sprite
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·