Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone for steak

Marlin Darlin
Marlin Darlin Posts: 87
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
In this month's Bon Appetit, Eric Ripert has a recipe for cooking steak on a slate tile set on the grate over high heat. My Home Depot did not have slate so, I was wondering if I could just use my pizza stone. Will it stand up to high temps without the plate setter under it? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I'd be more worried about the porous pizza stone absorbing the steak's juices and fat, making subsequent pizzas taste of steak (which may not be a bad thing...  :-? ).
    With a glazed or iron pizza stone, shouldn't be a problem (although its been mentioned here before that the Pampered Chef stones sometimes shatter in the Egg).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    What happens to the juices from the steak??  Are you worried that they might flash?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    dont know if i would want to chance shattering a pizza stone with a cold steak being thrown on, but firebicks would be a cheap alternative
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I actually read the instructions on our last pizza stone and it said "Do not expose the stone to oil or fat". 
    I actually read the instructions on our last pizza stone and it said "Do not expose the stone to oil or fat". 
    what Nola says.... no faster way to split a porous stone than to let it soak up saturated fat and then hit it with high heat. I think you can get the same effect using a CI pan/steel.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I have a Pampered Chef stone that is many years old. When I first got it, I seasoned it by rolling out a package of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls over the surface and baking. Did this twice. The high fat content of the rolls seasons the stone, similar to seasoning CI. After any years of reheating greasy pan pizza, the stone in now black an totally non stick. If I do something greasy, I just wipe off the excess oil with a paper towel while it is still hot. Never thought to do a steak on it, but I probably could.
    There are many different types of pizza stone.  You need to consult the documentation for your particular stone.  There are types that can handle grease and oil - these are probably vitreous ceramic or have a vitreous coating.  Mine is not one of those.
    @nolaegghead

"consult the documentation"? 

You are really overshooting your audience here. Why would any of us read instructions?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Tjcoley said:
    I have a Pampered Chef stone that is many years old. When I first got it, I seasoned it by rolling out a package of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls over the surface and baking. Did this twice. The high fat content of the rolls seasons the stone, similar to seasoning CI. After any years of reheating greasy pan pizza, the stone in now black an totally non stick. If I do something greasy, I just wipe off the excess oil with a paper towel while it is still hot. Never thought to do a steak on it, but I probably could.
    Tj - we have a similar Pampered Chef "stone pan" seasoned the same way and after many years of use it is very dark. It looks like a stone cookie sheet. It also says very clearly 400F max temps and put it in the oven at room temp with the food on it. Never had a PC pizza stone. I'm not sure that is hot enough to do a steak. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Read, read what???
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    what is the meaning of this word instructions? 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Tjcoley
    I've heated the stone in the oven to 550 on a regular basis.  Haven't used this one on the Egg (rectangular and doesn't fit) but I do use an unseasoned PC round stone on the Egg with no issues, so far.
    bigphil said:
    The instructions on my Wegman's lump (RO) say to use 1/2 cup lighter fluid per 2 pounds of lump to light it.  Just poured 2 cups lighter fluid into my full firebox on the large Egg.  Boy, I bet tonights burgers will get done real quick and taste delicious.

Tjcoley said:
    bigphil said:
    The instructions on my Wegman's lump (RO) say to use 1/2 cup lighter fluid per 2 pounds of lump to light it.  Just poured 2 cups lighter fluid into my full firebox on the large Egg.  Boy, I bet tonights burgers will get done real quick and taste delicious.
    All these damn "green" hippies hell bent to put the oil companies outta bidness are behind this "no lighter fluid" phenomenon.  Even BGE is green.  Glad Wegman's is grounded, I mean, if Jesus didn't want us to burn no oil, why the heck did he stick that stuff all over in the ground, I mean it ain't serve no other purpose?  I think the whole planet should look like a smoky BBQ party boy that would be fun.
    I have a stack of slate in the basement I'd be happy to share for the cost of shipping if you're interested.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    My first pizza cook used a family favorite pampered chef pizza stone and it broke right down the middle at 550.  

Agree that a CI skillet is the way to go - doesn't get any better than a sear on that.  
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    I have personally seared and finished the best filet Mignon on my pizza stone. I was able to serve them sizzling and it was amazing. It was great for a few weeks until the stone split. That is all.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Thanks everyone. I don't want to risk shattering my stone so I will try another garden center for the slate. Ripert says to by several as they are likely to crack and to keep on cooking even if the stone you are using does crack. Have some prime strips and soft shell crabs for a surf and turf tonight.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Using slate is interesting, but it seems like kind of a PITA if they are likely to crack and you have to keep buying them :).  Who knows, maybe they make a real difference; but it seems to me a CI skillet would do the trick. 

FYI- this guy mentions it exploding and ricocheting all over the kitchen :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    wonder how the slate really works going high heat, i stacked bluestone which is like a slate into a fire ring for outdoor fires and the stuff would literally explode, explode enough you risked taking an eye out with it so i have to wonder about a high heat cook with slate and thermally shocking it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I've used slate in the past on my table underneath the Egg.  Every sheet I ever used cracked in half.  I would wonder why using slate is better than cast iron, for example.
    The Naked Whiz