Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie with my first attempt with my BGE and Table Build.

Hello all from Ontario, Canada

I finally picked up a LBGE after years of wanting one.  My so called high end stainless steel BBQ has all but rusted to a pile of junk.  It needs $100's to repair the guts that I am just not willing to put anymore $$ into it.  Pulled the plug and bought the Egg.  Also picked up the BBQ Guru DigiQ to help me along the way.

So, as I started building my BGE table I also picked up 2 8 pound Pork Butts.  Cooked it slow and low all night without incident.  The BBQ Guru is simply amazing and did all the work.  The Butts turned out amazing.  Looking forward to reading all the chat on here and looking/trying the recipes.

Couple pics.

My table ready for sanding and stain.

After 13 hour cook, my pork.  Sorry, did not take a pulled picture....

Thanks for reading

Sherriff

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

@Sherriff - welcome aboard... great looking table and pork.... Also love that garage?!?  Whereabouts in Ontario.  I'm Toronto (west end) and there are a bunch more crazy canucks.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Great job on both.  Love the table.  welcome aboard.
  • Sherriff
    Sherriff Posts: 31

Thanks for the Welcome(s).  I am in Hamilton.  Ya the garage is the place to hang out and not make a mess in the house.  LOL  My wife prefers it that way!

Sherriff

• CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    Welcome aboard.  Looks like you jumped in with both feet.  Good for you.  Your love affair with the BGE has just begun.  Good looking table. 
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Great start! Welcome
    MBGE in Charleston

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Just got a large egg and finished a table myself!  Everything you've posted here looks fantastic!  I haven't done pork butts yet.  Where did you set the temp?  Did you prep them at all?
    Southern California
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Butts look good.  Might want to protect your probe cables with a couple of layers of cheap aluminum foil -- just the portion inside the grill.  It will reflect the IR from the lump below and also route it over one of your platesetter legs to keep it out of the high heat area of your egg.  Probes for the DigiQ are about $26. each, but the big problem is, when you fry one of them you are without good temperature control until you get a replacement.  Two layers of foil, and it will stay on the probe six months before needing replacement --  cheap insurance..
  • Welcome to the insanity! I also just recently joined the BGE cult/fanatics/addicts.
    You will never go back to propane and wonder how you ever lived without charcoal fire :))
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice job!  Love the TV and carpet in the shop.  All our old carpets go to my shop before I trash them with glue and spilled beer.....

Welcome @sherriff I'm in Burlington!!
  • Hotwingking
    Hotwingking Posts: 279
    Both look great, you will have lots of good times with your new toys.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome.. I like the rounded table top.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Sherriff
    Sherriff Posts: 31
    bicktrav said:
    Just got a large egg and finished a table myself!  Everything you've posted here looks fantastic!  I haven't done pork butts yet.  Where did you set the temp?  Did you prep them at all?

Hi Bicktrav, just coated them with mustard and rubbed with a store bought rub, sat them in the fridge all night.  Set the egg to 250 and let the Guru work till the internal temp was 190 ish.  Turned out to be the best pulled pork I have ever made.

Thanks

Sherriff

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Welcome to the lifestyle @Sherriff. Nice looking table and butts.

In case you're not aware of it, there's an eggfest in Niagara in August; thought you might enjoy going.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

In case you're not aware of it, there's an eggfest in Niagara in August; thought you might enjoy going.

Thanks, yes I was thinking about checking it out but I am North camping that weekend.  I am finding it hard to think about that weekend cooking time being away from my Egg.  Is that wrong? LOL

Sherriff

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,359
    Welcome! Nice table, I have been thinking about a design similar to that. I am in Cambrige, On. I think I could smell those butts cooking!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Sherriff said:
    Thanks, yes I was thinking about checking it out but I am North camping that weekend.  I am finding it hard to think about that weekend cooking time being away from my Egg.  Is that wrong? LOL

Sherriff

Nothing wrong with that.  Just freeze some to bring along.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Sherriff said:

Sherriff

Sounds completely normal to me!!  What i do is cook BBQ and bring it with us and feed the people we visit -- they love it and keeps your stress down!

:(( :((
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Ahhh theres a new Sherriff in town! Welcome aboard.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .