Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm just going to trust the Egg

Doing a pork shoulder that needs to be done a few hour after work. I want it to be fresh and hot, so I'm going to put it on before work (no digi, cyber, or party Q) and just trust in my egg to hold the temp and don't destroy this meat. Low and Slow...

So either I'll be even more in love with this thing...or I'll have an excuse to purchase me a grilling babysitter. 

Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
I love to eat...sue me!

Comments

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited June 2013
    I think you will be fine. Make sure your temp is stable for about 30-45 min before and maybe 10-15 minutes after you put the shoulder in. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Give it a couple of hours to stabilize and with a bit of luck you could be fine. I've had day cooks that hit 275 and held there all day, other cooks, the Maverick was buzzing at me every hour or so, I seemed to be chasing the temp all day. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Thats one of those things where you get home from work and are facing a great meal, or figuring what restaurant your going to eat in?? ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    to get better sleep what ive been doing instead of an overnight is light the egg late at night and set it up for 240, in the morning shake out the ash and put the meat in and go fishing for 8 or so hours and its been working well.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Interesting, I've never had issues with my Egg maintaining a temp.  NO matter what I'm cooking it stays rock steady within a 10 degree +/-
    Large BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    The key as mentioned is "stable".  I would make sure you have had no vent adjustments for a good hour before loading up the shoulder.  Then the BGE should recover to the same spot and you are on your way.  A tenth of a degree/minute change will result in 6*/hr...it can add up.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Trusting the Egg is good policy; that's what it is built for.

As the above advice, just get it good and stable to temp, and let it go.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    EddieK76 said:
    Interesting, I've never had issues with my Egg maintaining a temp.  NO matter what I'm cooking it stays rock steady within a 10 degree +/-
    i light it at night because i dont want to get up earlier to light and stabilize it, im usually fishing by 430 am so on it goes at 4
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I cooked 4 7lb shoulder roasts for 17 hours on Saturday. It was the first time I used the LBGE. I cooked them to an internal temp of 195 with heat that was pretty consistent at 220. I made one adjusent early on and that was it!! They were awesome. I have smoked for a while using the Weber smoker and liked it, but this egg is SO much easier and better!!!
  • sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    This is an interesting subject.  I thought I had it figured out like everyone else here and this past weekend had problems holding the temp.  I had it stable at 250 for a couple of hours and went to bed.  When I got up it was a little below 200.  In the past it would hold 250 for 18 hours or more.  The only thing I did differently this time was add 3 large chunks of apple wood to the top center of the lumps.  I did this before I put the meat on and had it stabilized for 2 hours.  I don't normally use chunks of wood when I cook a pork butt.  It has been great in the past without.  Could the 3 chunks of apple wood cause the temp to fluctuate like this? 
    Columbia, SC

• CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    @erblove where do you live? I'll watch it for you.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Fouker187
    Fouker187 Posts: 48
    I have always just stabilized temp for an hr or so then fogettaboutit.  
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    @erblove Do we have results yet?
    erblove Posts: 97
    Cook turned out great. Of course I can't say that nothing happened during the day, but when I got home...Egg was holding at 210. Probe showed around 168-171 depending on the spots that I hit. Was able to pull meat off easy...and the bone was clean. 

I'll post a few pics later when I get off of work. 
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,777

"Cook turned out great."

Of course it did.  You set it up that way.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Dust9000
    Dust9000 Posts: 26

do to kids sports on weekend, I have to do this all the time.   It is nice knowing all is well with the egg when your away.  Does make others worried that you are not watching it, but they do not know.  

Good job

• erblove
    erblove Posts: 97
    Sorry no pics of pulling it apart...I literally got home in enough time to check the temp (perfect), pull, and get ready to take it to the event. 

Needless to say though...I didn't bring anything back. 
    1.jpg 658.8K
    2.jpg 638.5K
    3.jpg 1001.8K
    4.jpg 566.5K
    I love to eat...sue me!