Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frying temp.

Options
Can I maintain a 350° constant oil temp with an iron chicken frying skillet? On my large BGE?

I don't want to try it if its not possible.

Thanks.

JJS

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    I have kept 350 while frying burgers but I've never attempted to fry an iron chicken. ;)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It's possible but risky.  Easier to do on your range.  When the lid is open, oxygen stokes the fire - it's tough to control.  A boil-over can run-away.  There's not a flavor advantage since the smoke is hidden from the food by the oil.  Watch some videos on turkey frier disasters before you try it.
    That's all I needed to hear. Thank you guys.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    @joejoeshooter, it can be done. I did some chicken fried steak without any problems at all. However, I only did this for the CI throw down and just to see that it could be done. Now that I've done it once I really don't feel the need to do it again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I did my frickin chicken but placed my ci platter under threat skillet. I could cook it inside but then the wife would know how many beers I consumed. "just a few honey"
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    The biggest problem with frying is maintaining temperature throughout the entire cooking process.  The ideal temperature for cooking chicken is 375 degrees, anything under that does not seal the chicken and the oil product enters the flesh.  Anything above 400 degrees ruins the oil, and cooks the chicken too fast so you can have blood near the bones or overcooked - dry- chicken to completely cook it throughout.  You get the oil at 375 degrees and drop a chicken breast in, and the temperture drops to about 360.  That temperature isn't perfect, but not ideal neither, because it is sucking up the oil.  If you dropped a second breast into the oil, the temperature might drop down to 340 degrees -- bad!!  You need a cooking machine that can QUICKLY recover and maintain 375 degrees.  So if you cook, very slow, your results will be much better when using an egg.  Of course another thing that enters into the picture is the amount of oil you are cooking in -- more oil will reduce the effects of dropping cold chicken into the oil.