Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Failure...

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum

or why you should keep your placesetter or ceramic stones covered or clean.

Last night, we were going to make pizza on the Egg. Made up a batch of New York Style Pizza dough from Serious Eats website Sunday night (making sure I used bread flour this time, instead of Ap flour) along with some of the New York Sauce yesterday. Lit the Egg and decided I was going to try to use the adjustable rig for the first time making pizza. Got it all set up and temps were stabilizing around 500F, but man was it smoking. Smoking like a bunch of alcoholics at a meeting. I was really worried that if we tried to cook pizzas, they would come out to smokey. But I kept watching, figuring it would all burn off eventually. Finally gave up and started pre-heating the oven to 500F. Went to get my BGE pizza stone off and when I did, the oval ceramic stone burst into flames!! All I can think was that the last time I used it was for a brisket and I didn't foil it or use a drip pan. The stone must have absorbed a lot of drippings and when heated it released them and then they caught fire. Was too freaked out by it and just didn't think to take a picture of it up in flames. So we did make the pizzas after all, but in the oven. Only used 1/3 of the flour, so we'll try again maybe tomorrow or later this week. I was pleased with how the dough turned out and Mrs. G said it might be her favorite crust. Oh...and I also ruined mine by putting anchovies on it. We had some left over from making Caesar salads. Sounded like a good idea...never again on my pizza, thank you very little.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Freaky! Outside of the anchovies, your pie looks great though!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    @Griffin, weird man. If you followed my pork shoulder on the Mini cook while I was on vacation last week, my stone caught on fire too!! Charred my shoulder. The weirder part about this was it was the first time I used the stones from Amazon. I had it wrapped in foil too. After 45 minutes or so the egg was smoking like crazy-- took a look to see what was going on and the stone was on fire. When I removed it, and took the foil off, the stone had cracked in half. Weird man. Pizza looks good
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I only use my pizza stones for pizza --  and i prep the pizza on a no stick pan, and cook it in that same pan.  It is easier to handle and cooks just as fast -- crispy all the way to the center of the pizza.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I only use my pizza stone for pizza, too. I was using the AR with the oval stone on the second to top level, then the grate on the top and then my BGE pizza stone. It was the oval stone that caught fire from my last brisket cook when I left it uncovered. Anyway, I left the Egg going and it burned off all the drippings, so I'll be good to go next time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• hunkydorey
    Options
    This happened to me with my fire bricks which I used to offset something when I cooked turtle burgers. I had to take them out (not my picture but was similar)image