Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Egging turkey & roast beef for slicing sandwich meat

I've borrowed a slicer and would like to cook my own turkey breast and roast beef for slicing sandwich meat. Like a sub shop only DIY (and better). I'd like some advice on what meat to buy. Turkey for example comes in various frozen/fresh, white meat/dark meat, and then bone in/boneless. Frankly, sometimes it can be difficult to find just an uncooked boneless turkey breast. (possibly I'm looking wrong store or section or wrong time of year?). Once I figure out what to by, I'll likely brine the breast and then apple wood smoke. Any suggested rub/seasoning? 

For Roast beef, what type of cut should I go with? Bottom Round or "eye" round? I'd like quality not necessarily cheap. Any wood to smoke it? What about rub/seasoning? 

Thanks for the advice! 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

·

Comments

• Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Turkey breast(bone in) is very cheap and available year round, easy to egg and easy to pull from the bone.  makes great sliced beef.  You are "right on" with the beef, eye of the round isn't too expensive, cooked rare and sliced, makes good sammies!
    ·
  • WiltOnTiltWiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    What temp and technique would you guys recommend for eye of round? I got one on sale for roast beef sandwiches
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Just s&p !  Cooked direct at gasket level at 350 degrees - turn to get a good sear, but don't let it get above 125 degrees internal or it will be too tough for sandwiches.  I let it cool just enough to be able to handle then slice the entire thing.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,013
    I cook roast beef at the lowest temp I can maintain with smoke, like oak.  Pull at 125.  I don't worry about a sear, it's sliced thin.

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,924
    for deli beef cook below 300 dome direct works.  ive never made turkey but suspect 275 to 300 dome would be better than a higher roasting temp as well, sliced turkey textures seems more like my low and slow turkey cooks than my tday roast turkey cooks
    ·