Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yesterdays Cooks - Tri Tip, then Dessert

Decided to put some Tri Tip in a marinade Friday night.  Marinade was:

2 garlic cloves minced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup spiced rum

Cooked them indirect at 350 until internal was around 120-130 and pulled them.  Wrapped in foil and rested about 10-15 minutes.  They were then seared direct for about 12-14 minutes until internal reached about 150.  Let them rest another 10 minutes and were sliced.

After I took the meat off for a rest I dropped the egg temp down to about 325 and cooked some dessert.  Caramel pecan rolls for 50 minutes.  Came off shortly after dinner.  A bit of vanilla bean ice cream and these were great!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    How'd that marinade work out on the tri tip? Sounds good. I've been eyeing up the tri tip at Costco.
    Dunedin, FL
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Had great flavor. I had several compliments from our guests.
    Strongsville, Ohio

[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• CajunEggHead
    CajunEggHead Posts: 189
    I have heard from a butcher that the Tri-Tip was a tough piece of meat? can anyone chime in on this? I have been shying away from this for that reason...

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • fiver29
    Its a chewier cut.  But has more flavor than most other cuts on the cow.  I'd rather have more flavor and chew a bit more than eat something that has no beef flavor.  But that's just me.  The filet is worst cut on the cow.  Period.  Its flavorless.  

Its kind of like a Butchers cut.  That cut is showing up now in more high end restaurants.  They serve it sliced because if its not cut against the grain its too chewy.  But its still a chewy piece regardless.  And has the best flavor IMO of any other cut behind the tri tip.  And at the price you can get tri tip at its a no brainer for me personally.

I have no doubt many will disagree with me on this one.  But take a look at the menu of some locally owned higher end places around you if you have them.  They all prefer a cut like a butcher cut over a filet any day.  There's a reason for that.  

Anyway, just my .02
    Strongsville, Ohio

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Looks nice, congrats. Is that really 150 internal? 

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • fiver29
    @black_badger yep. It's pulled at about 150 internal and rested about 10-12 minutes. What does it look like?
    Strongsville, Ohio

• yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Nice looking cook!  The Caramel Pecan rolls look amazing, what is your recipe for them?
  • fiver29

This was originally posted by bluesmoke:

Caramel Breakfast Rolls
    2 1-pound loaves, frozen bread dough (thawed)
    1 cup brown sugar, packed
    1 pkg (5.5 oz) vanilla pudding & pie filling mix 
    (not “instant)
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    1/4 cup half & half
    1/2 cup pecans, chopped coarse
    Grease a 9 x 13" pan.
    Combine and mix brown sugar, pudding mix, butter and half & half.
    Cut one loaf of dough into small pieces; distribute evenly over bottom of the greased pan. 
    Drizzle half the sugar and pudding mixture over the top; sprinkle with half the pecans.
    Cut second loaf into small pieces; repeat as above using the remainder of the sugar and 
    pudding mixture and the pecans.
    Cover and refrigerate several hours, or overnight.
    Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 50 minutes. While still warm, invert pan onto a cookie 
    sheet or serving platter
    Strongsville, Ohio

• tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Love me some Tri-Tip on the egg, most underrated cut of neat that turns out money every time!
  • yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    @fiver29 Thanks, I forgot to ask you for it at the eggfest.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Don't get me wrong it looks perfect, but I'd always figured ~ 135 for medium rare and I would have guessed that was about 125 - 130. 

I reverse seared 6 tri tips this weekend and they turned out great. Hugely underappreciated cut!
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • fiver29
    @black_badger Wow.  That's a huge difference.   I used a digiq and pulled them around 120-130 using that before doing the sear.  I seared them at a high temp for at least 12 minutes total time before pulling it.  Yeah, it was around 150 on 3 different cuts so I pulled them all.

I agree.  Its a great cut.  Worth every penny!!
    Strongsville, Ohio