Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wet and dry and cost difference

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
That steak I did the other night was from Lobels. Was thinking of trying Allenbrothers for variety. There is a huge cost diff between dry aged and wet aged. Is there THAT much of a tenderness/flavor diff?[p]mShark

Comments

• Rumrunner
    Options
    mollyshark, tenderness 'no'. Flavor 'yes'. Properly Dry Aged Beef will 'normally' have, but not necessarily, a heavy, beefy, musty (sometimes musky) odor and flavor to it.

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]Dry aged is almost always more expensive. For the producer... there is less per lb after the aging when dry aged.[p]Most think dry ageing produces a deeper, more intense "beefy" flavor.[p]I haven't found it to be better (per se')..but it is different and worth trying.[p]Sorry to miss you this weekend!![p]Evans[p]
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Ms. Shark,[p]steaks.jpg[p]Through a crazy sequence of circumstances, I got myself a side job a few years back repairing 2 large Eggs for one of Greater Cleveland's better steak houses.[p]They paid me well and gave me access to their meat purveyer which I didn't know existed right here in my home town.[p]I noticed a distinct and major improvement in both taste and tenderness (and price, unforturnately) when I bought these dry aged prime NY strips - they were wonderful[p]This pic is from 2001 and the price was $16/lb. Today, they are $25. If I win the lottery tonight, I will be back there in the morning.[p]K~G

• mollyshark
    Options
    KennyG,[p]I'll keep my fingers crossed that you DO win the lottery. Assuming you invite me for the first round of steaks, of course.[p]mShark
  • Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Options
    mollyshark,Aged steak is already tender and never bloody and you can cook it less done than usual. Aged steak will get tough the more well done it is. Like great wine you must taste for yourself.Enjoy

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    mollyshark,
    ever since I sprung for $15 a pound dry aged New York strips from a local butcher shop I have never gone back to the strips from grocery chains at half that price. Yes, it makes a difference - and here for all those years I thought our favorite steak house was using some secret marinade. You should have seen me grin from ear to ear when I tasted my egged aged strip. In fact it's strips and lobster tails tomorrow night at the Pratt's!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    KennyG,
    Is there a steakhouse in Cleveland that uses Eggs?[p]See ya in Egglanta.[p]Dennis

• mollyshark
    Options
    RRP,[p]Well Alexshark almost cried when I did that strip from Lobel's last night. And from what I hear, they aren't the best! Don't remember who IS the best, but I'll snoop. Then I found the rub that is perfect for me. Ahhh, life can be good.[p]mShark
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]Yo Dennis, you old son of a gun! I'm looking forward to seeing you in Hotlanta as well.[p]The Lock Keeper in Cleveland has a couple of Eggs (refurbished by yours truly) that they use for what they call pulled pork - smoked for one hour and then finished in the oven. Their steaks are cooked in a South Bend gas broiler (boring), but meat of that quality is wonderful no matter what your do to it.[p]The source is Blue Ribbon Meats in the bowels of Cleveland's "flats".[p]K~G

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    KennyG,
    The wife has a cousin up there. I'll have to try to remember this one for our next visit. I should have said meet you as I've never attended an eggfest. Been around on this board for quite awhile though.

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    I have been cooking steaks before being an egger. The egg makes the best steaks ever, with rubs and crusts because of the high heat. The steaks I generally use come from two local food chain stores. They each do the same thing and that is age the beef two weeks before they cut it. I blot it and put it in the fridge (opened) for 3 or 4 days (turning every day)
    This meat is select. The results are fabulous. I do get choice and top choice occansionly from other stores. I have read a lot on the forum about getting the top quality meat. I have found with the select beef that I am getting that it rivals the best choice after a couple of days in the fridge unwrapped.