Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggsperts...What is your favorite cookbook?

I know many of you cook from eggsperience and your melon, but newbies like myself enjoy learning from some fool-proof guides before becoming freestyle with the art.

That being said, I know a lot of recipes are scattered throughout the forums but are there any collective cookbooks you recommend? 

I recently got my hands on Smoke & Spice and enjoy that one and appreciate any and all other recommendations.

Cheers eggers!

------------
Beers & BBQ

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    cooks illustrated's best recipe.

slow fire by Dr. BBQ

cooks illustrated magazines, books, and sites are in large part why I am here. I thoroughly enjoy then.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Best cookbook I've ever had is this and the other forum.  Other cookbooks don't respond when I screw something up and am trying to correct it mid-cook.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    My favorite "go to" cookbook is "Homestyle Soups".  I use it throughout the cooler months and have never found a bad recipe.
  • I first got started with steven raichlens How to grill: the complete illustrated book of bbq. Recipes are step by step and each step has a close up picture.

Little Rock, AR

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    The school of hard knocks.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited June 2013

Smoke & Spice.  Really the only one I ever use anymore and really a great cookbook to have for the avid smoker.  Never really cared for the BGE cookbook and wish I hadn't sprung for it.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Best cookbook I've ever had is this and the other forum.  Other cookbooks don't respond when I screw something up and am trying to correct it mid-cook.

100% What Scott said!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    I concur with Scottborasjr and mickey about the forums.  Don't really use cookbooks, even though we have a huge collection (had to build a giant bookshelf to increase space - SWMBO collects them)

My MO can be summed up by:

1. have a general idea of what I want to cook
    2. Utilize world-wide interwebz - search, research, read.
    3. Incorporate the stuff I like from item 2 into my final process
    4. make it and get completely hammered so I vaguely remember what I did
    5. repeat starting at item 1

Had that happen on more than one occasion and had to ask the wife, "how did I do that last time?"

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Fine Cooking and Cooks Illustrated, this forum and eggfests.Raichlen's books for rubs, sauces and ideas. The Republic of Barbecue is a great read about Texas BBQ  http://utpress.utexas.edu/index.php/books/engrbq
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • I too am new to the egg.  I absolutely love "Slow Fire: The Beginner's Guide to Barbecue" by Ray "DR. BBQ" Lampe!  Very well written.  Great recipes.  Awesome info on just about everything from choice of wood to the tools you may find handy.  Also a big plus is all of the recipes are written to be done on an egg so he is normally spot on with time and temp.

Just pick it up...you won't regret it.

L-BGE | Lusby, MD

• WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674

Just don't waste money on the Big Green Egg Cookbook.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:

Just don't waste money on the Big Green Egg Cookbook.

Too late for me. Wah, waaaaahhhhh!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    I mainly use the information and recipes from the folks on this forum. Some great recipes here. One book that I find has some interesting ideas for grilling is Adam Perry Langs's  
    "BBQ 25".  

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I have more barbeque cookbooks than I want to admit, but if I had to narrow it down to one it'd be Smokin' with Myron Mixon.  He doesn't hold back on his opinions, extremely entertaining to read, and he's got the trophies to back it all up.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch said:

I have more barbeque cookbooks than I want to admit, but if I had to narrow it down to one it'd be Smokin' with Myron Mixon.  He doesn't hold back on his opinions, extremely entertaining to read, and he's got the trophies to back it all up.  

Does he include the word "damn" in every sentence?

Little Rock, AR

• bethg212
    bethg212 Posts: 45
    Trial and error. Have considered Myron Mixon's first cookbook, just haven't purchased yet.
    Beth Hardeeville, South Carolina
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Who needs a cookbook when you have access to this forum. Have recieved a couple as gifts, one was the one from BGE. Nice pictures. As others have said, I haven't had time to cook everything I have seen on this forum that I want to yet - no time for cookbook.
    Cookin in Texas
  • WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    boatbum said:
    Who needs a cookbook when you have access to this forum. Have recieved a couple as gifts, one was the one from BGE. Nice pictures. As others have said, I haven't had time to cook everything I have seen on this forum that I want to yet - no time for cookbook.
    I agree with you. I just like something to flip through to get ideas of new cooks and bring camping too!

thanks
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    what i dont like about cookbooks is i find 3 to 5 signature recipes that look interesting and the other 30 to 50 are just fluff fillins to make a book.  someone should just make a book of great pictures with titles so i could pick what looks good that day, figure out what i have to do to make it, and go cook it. sometimes i google the food pics first, then go look for a recipe that might make what im looking for
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    The New Professional Chef by the Culinary institute of America. Weighs a ton and lots of French named stuff.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited June 2013
    Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Gives me basis to open up so many other possibilities.
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Anything PAULA DEAN. lmao. Y'all.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Don't get lured in to all those fancy pictures of food -- just give me the recipe.  Not many recipe books out that provide good quality recipes page after page.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang. If you can find one!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    RLeeper said:
    Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang. If you can find one!
    Wow .. been out of print for a long time. Thats why the price of this book has skyrocketed.

Is this book that good?
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Got some ideas for good reading from this thread.   I like  Steven Raichlen's "Barbecue Bible".  It has a very large number of interesting recipes.  Calvin and Audrey Lee's "The Gourmet Chinese Regional Cookbook" has a few recipes that can be cooked on the egg.   Mostly, I tend to search the internet for ideas anymore (e.g., Larry Wolfe's Sriracha Wings: http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/orange-marmalade-sriracha-wings.html ).
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited June 2013
    Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Gives me basis to open up so many other possibilities.
    +1.  At some point you must try Julia's Boeuf Bourguignon (need to try on the Egg when the weather gets cooler) and Roast Chicken - plan to spend a lot of time cooking this one - not just a throw it in the oven until done.  Very labor intensive, and well worth it.  Folding the wings 'akimbo' is a key.  And make sure you watch the SNL skit.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX