Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spatchcock

Options
awm
awm Posts: 181
Cooked a spatchock and veggies tonight, turned out awesome. I swear I like the egg more every time I use it. 

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    And it will only get better. Nice beer can raised grid.
    Options
    I tried to find some stainless steel bolts this evening to make a set up for raised direct but couldn't find any. I figured the cans could get me through until I did find some. This was my first raised direct cook. My other spatchcocks have been indirect. I like this way so I can put the vegetables under the chicken.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Looks nice. Like the veggie drip pan. 
    Awhile ago grand kids complained about the rub used, so we left one side "naked". Since then we usually rub with two different rubs, variety is good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BulldogNation
    Options
    This looks amazing! I am a brand new egg owner, just put her together today....how do you do the beer can raised rack? What does the drip pan sit on?
  • awm
    Options
    This looks amazing! I am a brand new egg owner, just put her together today....how do you do the beer can raised rack? What does the drip pan sit on?
    All I done was got another grill rack from Lowes, put the cans on top of my regular rack and then the new rack on top of the cans, so then the pan just sat on the lower rack. I plan on doing what this link says just so it will be more convenient. http://winnipeggheads.com/2013/02/18/how-to-make-a-home-made-raised-grid-for-a-large-big-green-egg/
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Hey @BulldogNation glad to have you on board, finally. How long did it take you to get your Egg once you asked me about it? :D If you only have one grate right now, you can rest the beer cans on the edge of the fire ring and sit it on top of that. You don't need a drip pan when doing raised direct, although some people use one because the fat dripping on teh fire can make it too smokey for some.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

@awm, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find SS hardware at either Home Depot or Lowes.

Ask for them, maybe a sales person can help you.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon