Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

potato chips

While the rest of the world was playing Where's Waldo with Edward Snowden, I discovered that potato chips are an excellent fire starter.  Cool!
When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!

Comments

• blueinatl
    blueinatl Posts: 94
    I may regret this, but HOW did you find this out? (and why)
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    My son has been trying to get me to light the Egg using potato chips for a long time. Never tried it, but imagine kettle cooked would work best.
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    In a pile, individual chips, you didn't take a photo, arrrrrrgh?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Now that you say that I remember growing up that there was a gentleman that would go camping with our "boy scout" like organization that would use potato chips and paper towels to start fires.  He wasn't there very often, most of the time it was 4-5 men smoking cigars with a gas can and a pile of charcoal/wood. Ah the good old days.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Oddly enough, this was no accident and I kept m eye brows intact.  I buried a handful in the coals like I do my bye starter blocks.  I then lit the edge of one chip and it burned much like a natural starter.  I did this in a couple of places around the egg and it worked very well.  I went from initial lighting to clean burn in about 12 minutes.  I had read about this before and decided to give it a go.  The chips were UTZ brand ruffles, but any fried chip should do as long as there is enough grease.  The grease gives hot burn flammability while the mass of the chip gives a length to the burn so the coals can get fired up.  I imagine you probably would want to use larger pieces and not crumbs.  Corn chips should work too according to other threads.  Could be a new use for stale chips...
    When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!
  • Forgot to take pics.  Will do on Wednesday.
  • Cool idea. I'm willing to at least give it a try. Nothing to lose.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Better for your health if you burn them rather than eat them. ;)
    I like the idea. The problem is that I don't buy chips because I'd eat them all.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    I like the idea. The problem is that I don't buy chips because I'd eat them all.
    And then you would have nothing to lite ur Egg with :)

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Better for your health if you burn them rather than eat them. ;)
    I was thinking along these lines myself. Just goes to show how much oil/grease/fat is in those things.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Frito's Scoops will burn FOREVER.  Never thought to use chips as a starter, though.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.