Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st cook on the LBGE - Bratwurst

Figured I would start with something easy and hard to screw up, gave me a chance to get comfortable with the temp control.

Smoked em for a little more than an hour, about 260 dome temp.

Turned out delicious, juicy, some good smoke flavor.

Up next, a pork shoulder I rubbed and froze when plans broke down couple weekends back.

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Looks great!  I whipped up some Publix brats last night.  They didn't impress me too much.   Yours look much better!  What brand were they?  Congrats on your new egg and welcome to the cult!  :D
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Welcome. Looks good from here.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Thanks guys,

Johnsonville - Cheddar and Beer 

Im usually a "poke em n simmer em in beer with onions"  Its something I learned from some Wisconsin friends.  I live in eastern Iowa and cant wait to start the next cook
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Welcome. I do brats in a beer with some sliced sweet onions in a CI skillet. Get them going at about. 350 for about 30 minutes, until the beer burns off a little, then put them directly on the grate for a while. Bun and then carmelized onions on top with some good mustard.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Welcome to the cult. I cook locally made brats a couple of times a month. Do 'em with beer. Great place to start the learning curve. Have a blast, you have a great grill to cook on. Look forward to reading your posts.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice - hey, ya got a smoke ring!
    I recently tried Brats and was disappointed. The quality of the meat was the problem. Finding good meat here is difficult as the nearest butcher shop is an hour drive away and the grocery stores here suck. Store bought Italian worked much better. I think this speaks to the obvious issue of meat quality first.