Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sockeye salmon ideas?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Got some wild sockeye salmon (just learned that ALL sockeye is wild) on sale, but not having any luck finding a recipe.  We made ribs this weekend, so my wife is requesting something "not so sweet" on the salmon.  This eliminates my normal way of doing salmon with dizzy pig raging river & maple syrup.  So any suggestions out there?  One last thing . . I have a alder plank soaking now, so hoping to use it.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Thievery
    Thievery Posts: 37
    Options
    I use this rub from Williams-Sonoma:
    • Kosher salt, paprika, crushed red pepper, chili pepper, oregano, basil, coriander, safflower oil.
    I usually use it with a cedar plank, but I am sure the alder would be wonderful as well.
    BGE in the ATX
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    I just season mine with kosher salt, cracked pepper, dill and cover in sliced lemon rounds.  Place on a 350* egg for about half an hour.  Did this last night with some couscous and a salad.  Nice, flavorful, light and heart healthy!
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • NDG
    Options
    @wbradking . . do you use dried dill or fresh dill?  Thanks for the response.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    I use dried because that's what I have on hand.  
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Blackened salmon...then make a sauce - whiskey butter, creole tartar, an aeoli or something.  It's something special.
    Options
    Try misting with a 50-50 mix of bourbon and water (ok, maybe more like 75 B - 25 W) in place of your typical maple syrup.  That, followed by raging river & jamaican firewalk, is my go to salmon combo.  Good luck.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Hotwingking
    Hotwingking Posts: 279
    Options
    I know you said not sweet but, one of my favorites is Sweet Chili Sauce, Soy Sauce, and Fresh Ginger, always turns out great and it's not super sweet.
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    Just a couple thoughts. I eat a lot of salmon. Sockeye is excellent. Do not overdo the spices. I have had sockeye raw. It does not need much. Get a nice salmon rub, maybe a little maple syrup. I saw someone suggest a little bourbon, it does go very well with the maple. Then put it on the egg. Do not overcook. Med rare color is perfect, 130 degrees.
  • North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137
    Options
    Get a gallon plastic food storage bag that has a double lock closure
    Put in 1 cup of salt and 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
    Fill with water
    Put in salmon - I can easily fit a 2 lb fillet
    Let soak for 2 hours in fridge. Put in a second bag if you're concerned about leaking.
    Remove salmon and rinse off well.
    Smoke at 225 using cherry chunks for a beautiful mahogany color. 
    Probably around 2 to 2.5 hours for a 2 pounder.

You'll taste the salt with only a slight hint of sweetness. 
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    When it comes to salmon, I keep it simple: sea salt and white pepper. Direct grill. Never a complaint.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Marinate in brow sugar and soy.

Sear in cast iron with a little oil.

Top with a sauce made from mayo, lots of minced garlic, lots of lemon juice and a rub of choice.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • NDG
    Options
    wow - this is great bookmark for future salmon cooks.  Time got away from me this afternoon, so I will look into a brine and/or cast iron sear next time.  Tonight I am going with a little raging river and olive oil. I also have some lemon slices, rosemary sprigs and thyme sprigs . . .think that would go well laying on top with the rub/oil during the cook?
    Columbus, OH

• NDG
    Options
    turned out great, thanks for help . . 

Columbus, OH

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks like you cooked it just right.  Ym
    Options
    Nice!
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Nice cook. @wbradking has it right - sockeye does not need help. @Thievery suggests Potlatch and as you can see from the ingredient list, nothing is too strong. DP is too much for this fish, IMHO. 
    Now if it is farmed fish or pinks or something, season the bejesus out of it. 
    Sockeye is good as it is!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!