Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday Burgers

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum

I gotta say I am pretty impressed with a bunch of cooks on here from this weekend. I don't usually have the time to check out the forum on the weekend, but I did this weekend and y'all were putting out some great food. We didn't do anything fancy or that impressive as Mrs. G was working all weekend at the Dallas Market Show, but we did fire up the Egg for some burgers last night.

Not many more days when we are going to be able to sit on the patio and enjoy a cold beverage. Thankfully we have a huge tree that provides a ton of shade. Here's my ugly mug.

Why not cook the bacon on the Egg?

Simple burgers, nothing fancy. Not even that great a picture, to tell you the truth, but tasty none the less.

Got to thinking last night and so I have a question about lettuce on your burgers. Do you prefer whole lettuce leaves, or do you like to shred them up, or does it even matter to you. When we do burgers, if I'm prepping the veggies, I tend to shred the lettuce up pretty small, when Mrs. G does them, she leaves the whole (pun intended). Just wondering what others preferences are or if you even care.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Looks good Griffin and the mugs not ugly; very colorful in fact.

Re: Lettuce... I never put lettuce on my hamburger (nor tomato for that matter); although I do like both in/on other venues
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

I don't eat salad on my burgers, Tomatoes, and Pickles only.

How did you make the Pringles?

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited June 2013
    Options
    If I do lettuce on a burger, it's usually Romaine and it's a whole piece, just big enough o cover.  I break the back of it so it lays kinda flat.  I think the on the bottom makes the burger slide off.  I prefer some mayo on the bottom toasted bun, as a juice buffer to keep the bun from sogging up.
    I hear ya on the patio days getting less and less.  I don't have a cover on the deck, so it get's hot in the afternoon, down here in the South.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    Yum!  Now I know what I'm having for dinner tonight:  a bacon cheeseburger!  
    I like mine with raw onion, pickles, and ketchup.  Sometimes grilled avocado, if I remember to grill them.

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Griffin
    Options

I had no idea that so many people didn't like salad on their burgers. We usually do green leaf lettuce, but for some reason went with iceberg last night.

@500 I agree with you on the mayo as a buffer.

@TUTTLE871 - sorry, can't tell you. Its a trade secret.;)

Rowlett, Texas

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Looks good Griff.  We usually use whole leaf.  Lettuce is a texture thing, and it's easy to chew so I don't think it matters much.  If we have cut lettuce left over from a salad, we'll throw that on.  That said, shredding is kinda communist.
    :))
    Options
    Green leaf whole for this family. We wash the whole head of lettuce and keep it in a FoodSaver vacuum seal canister. It'll keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge. Iceberg for tacos only.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    For some reason I don't like lettuce on my burger nor tomato.  Although I do like both outside of it....I'm an onion, pickle, mayo and ketchup guy on my burgers.  For some reason I don't like mustard on my burgers although I LOVE mustard in general.
    Large BGE

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great looking burger!   If I put lettuce on a burger I go with whole pieces, but wouldn't be opposed to shredded :).  For some reason when making deli sammies or wraps we prefer shredded lettuce.  I think it holds the oil and vinegar better.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    if it's fresh lettuce, I like it whole. Once it's gotten a little old, shredding it helps mask that it's not as crisp anymore.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    I like mine with ketchup and tomato, heinz 57 and french fried potatoes, big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    TN ......sounds like a Buffet!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You have the coolest dishes. Love the corn dish. That damn well better be a PBR.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    We like the whole leaf with red onion, tomato. Ketchup and Mayo and cheese for me and ketchup, mustard and mayo for SWMBO.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    Butter or green leaf lettuce, and whole. I have a hard time with iceberg - no flavor. I use shredded cabbage if I need some crunch in the tacos. 
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Griffin
    Options
    henapple said:
    You have the coolest dishes. Love the corn dish. That damn well better be a PBR.

:)) Tecate Light, nothing but the finest. Great pool drinking beer/beach beer when temps near the 100s.

Rowlett, Texas

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Your post inspired me Griff stopped by and picked up some ground beef and corn on the cob for dinner tonight.  :D

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

At mt house, iceberg lettuce, well shredded!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    I like shredded lettuce on my burger.  Love the crunch and I hate it when the whole piece tries to come out at once.  :)  You are lookin' good BTW!!!  Keep up the great work with the weight loss! 
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Stuff something and get into Gary's throw down. Also the 4th of July challenge!
    Milton, GA.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks great, simple but tasty!

I like shredded lettuce and a big slice of tomato. I don't usually make bacon but I do enjoy it when I remember. I've been on a sliders kick lately and the small egg has been doing a good share of the cooking.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    If I eat lettuce it is in a salad, and if I make the salad the pieces will be torn into bite size pieces.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    edited June 2013
    Options
    @griffin so how do you like to cook your burgers?  

I've been playing with the way I cook them lately and I'm curious how you do yours.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I always use the whole leaf of the lettuce unless I'm making tacos. Then I shred it to bits. Looks a lot better then what I had for dinner. Nicely done.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Your right Griff, that is one ugly mug. Nice looking burger and corn though. IF that's a big IF I do lettuce, it is leaf lettuce. Pickled jalapeños, mustard, and bacon makes an awesome burger too.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Griffin
    Options
    fiver29 said:
    @griffin so how do you like to cook your burgers?  

I've been playing with the way I cook them lately and I'm curious how you do yours.

I really don't have a set method, time or temp. Kinda depends on how heavy and thick the patties are. Usuallty, Mrs. G makes the patties about 1/3 each, not to thick, not to thin but a bit bigger than the bun so when they are done they will still be big enough to fillout the bun. We throw them in the freezer for about 30 minutes and go out and light the Egg and have a cold beverage. Get it soemwhere between 500-600, I don't worry too much about stabilizing it, just in that range somewhere. Toss the patties in, cook for around 2 minutes, flip add cheese and another 90 seconds or so. Pull off and toast buns while patties rest. This would be for home ground meat. For store bought, I usually cook at 400 for about 4 minutes a side but I make sure to cook them a little more done. I just don't trust the store bought stuff at lower IT.

Rowlett, Texas

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    I did some experimental Tuesday burgers.  Took some ground beef, added some chopped onion, garlic and a splash of worcestershire, rolled into a ball, pressed a dimple and filled with goat cheese and some candied jalapenos. Pressed into a patty.   No pictures but came out great....
    Milton, GA.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    lettuce/no lettuce....if you had given me that burger I would have eaten it as is.  DaYum
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Aggie96_Egger
    Options
    No lettuce. Mayo, mustard, pickles, onions, tomatoes. Oh yeah provolone cheese.