Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Every Night, & Twice on Sunday (cooking on my new BGE, that is)

SWMBO (as she now requires me to call her after reading it here) surprised me the Thursday before Father's Day with a new LBGE and nest.  I have now cooked on it every single night and twice this Sunday (breakfast pizza then dinner).  I have been diligently taking pictures of every cook while waiting to get approved to post because I know that no pics = didn't happen.  Unfortunately, somehow this weekend I lost half of the pictures I had been saving!  A few of the pictures I lost include:
  • First cook of chicken breasts and turkey sausage that we used to make a fine pasta salad (all I had on hand when I got the egg)
  • Grilled Shrimp (Had to throw something together quickly and had them in the freezer and my gas grill was full of eggcesories)
  • a 9.5LB Boston Butt (Cooked overnight 18 hours and served for Father's day lunch, even though I was bleary eyed from refusing to sleep so I wouldn't miss my first stall)
  • First Egg pizza
  • First steak, salmon fillet, and talapia fillet
  • Boneless wings
  • Grilled scamp grouper for fish tacos
Fortunately, I can prove I actually have an egg and have been using it a ton with pictures of the following:
  • Spatchcock chicken (didn't even know what that was until I found this forum)
  • Cast iron skillet cooked new potatoes (They went with the boneless wings picture I lost)
  • Grilled peaches with a honey/butter/rum glaze served with homemade vanilla ice-cream drizzled with more honey
  • A 5.3 lb brisket flat (haven't found a packer yet)  It was very good but a little drier than I wanted
  • A Breakfast pizza
I will post the pictures in separate posts (I hope that isn't breaking any forum rules, I apologize if it is!  I just don't know how to put them all in one!)

Sometimes I skip the water.

Comments

• Plated spatchcock, grilled broccoli and corn.
  • Cast iron skillet potatoes.
  • Grilled peaches with rum/butter/honey glaze.
  • Brisket, sliced.
  • With a picture this time.....
  • Breakfast pizza.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @Makers_and_Water, welcome to the lifestyle. Looks like you're off to a flying start.

For future reference, you can add multiple pictures to a sinlge post by repeatedly clicking "Choose File" once you've clicked the "Attach a file" link. For each picture you choose, hover your mouse over the image and click "Insert Image" to insert your picture into the body of your post. Then (and if you want to keep Travis happy) click "Delete". This will leave your image in the body of your post but delete the thumbnail from below.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

For future reference, you can add multiple pictures to a sinlge post by repeatedly clicking "Choose File" once you've clicked the "Attach a file" link. For each picture you choose, hover your mouse over the image and click "Insert Image" to insert your picture into the body of your post. Then (and if you want to keep Travis happy) click "Delete". This will leave your image in the body of your post but delete the thumbnail from below.
    Thank you very much!!!  I knew there had to be a way!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2013
    Welcome!  Some dayum fine cooks so far!  Way to hit the ground running.  I bet at this point your wife is sure it is the best present she ever purchased for you. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Welcome aboard. Tell me more about that breakfast pizza, please.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Makers_N_Water
    Makers_N_Water Posts: 14
    edited June 2013
    @smokey: Yes indeed she does! Which is ironic since she is actually the best gift I've ever received! @Griffin: We started by rolling out some Trader Joes whole wheat pizza dough to fit the stone, which was preheated in the oven (just to save time, we were all starving). We whipped up a white sausage gravy and used it for the "sauce" then grated a medium size potato and sautéed it in a little olive oil. These hash-browns went on next followed by fontina cheese, shredded Monterey Jack, and mozzarella pearls (all because we just happened to have them in the fridge). SWMBO "cooked" 6 pieces of turkey "bacon" in the microwave (I guess obeyed doesn't mean always agree...). Which we crumbled and sprinkled over the pizza. Then we started cracking eggs on to the top until we got good coverage, popped it in the egg (plate setter legs down, stone on the PS) with a 500 dome temp and a handful of apple chunks. I added some conecuh sausage links to slice and add for me and our daughter and cooked for around 17 minutes. It probably would have been better to pull around 13 minutes but the eggs fooled me. They didn't look to be cooking but in fact the yolks were cooked solid by the time I pulled. Still a dang good brunch!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    From the thread title I thought you were talking about drinking too much.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    henapple said:
    The perfect Sunday:
    Start drinking in the morning
    Drink too much, pass out after lunch
    Nap until 5
    Wake up and drink too much again.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Thanks. I've wanted to do a breakfast pizza with eggs like that before, but was unsure of time and temp to get the eggs to come out right. I've done one before with scrambled eggs and chorizo and Mexican cheeses, but I like the idea of sunny side up.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple said:
    The perfect Sunday:
    Start drinking in the morning
    Drink too much, pass out after lunch
    Nap until 5
    Wake up and drink too much again.

@henapple, What is this "too much" thing you refer to?  I am not familiar with that phrase. 
    ;)

@SMokeyPitt. Have you been watching me????
    :)>-
  • Griffin said:

Thanks. I've wanted to do a breakfast pizza with eggs like that before, but was unsure of time and temp to get the eggs to come out right. I've done one before with scrambled eggs and chorizo and Mexican cheeses, but I like the idea of sunny side up.

@Griffin, that is a fine looking pie!!!  I think you will find sunny side up easy to accomplish, just don't go by appearance alone.  I should have given them the shake test a few minutes earlier!