Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to the forums and hopefully adding a new Egg for my family!

Options
Hello everyone!  Just got my account approved today so now I'm allowed to post so I figured I'd ask around to see when and where the best times to buy a new egg would be.  I'm currently in Afghanistan and going home soon so I'd like to either get one to use this summer but I'm also open to waiting if it means I'll be getting a better deal.

I am from Huntsville, AL and from what I've gathered there aren't really any local eggfests that I can attend to see them in action for the first time or get any good deals on an egg that has a warranty. I do see one listed on CL, but from what I've read here on the forums it doesn't seem like a good deal. I'll post the details later on.  I did see that there was an event down in Birmingham not too long ago, but I'm in Afghanistan so obviously I couldn't attend that. There was also a bbq competition here in Huntsville which had an BGE demo, but I couldn't be there again.

I haven't seen anything listed for any upcoming events, but I have heard of the big eggfest in ATL.  Not exactly a routine trip for me, but if the prices are low enough to brag about I could make a trip out of it. I am mostly interested in a LBGE, I'd hate to get one that's too small and regret not getting a larger one later on.

I've called two dealers locally to inquire about prices, one dealer's special includes a LBGE with the nest and mate, a 20lb bag of charcoal, a pack of natural fire starters and an ash tool for $1099.  The other didn't really say much other than "our large is on sale right now for $764 for just the egg itself."

The used egg on CL is listed for $600, which it's details say  "Large Big Green Egg good condition about 7 years old comes with grate gripper, ash tool, plate setter."

Not having the warranty scares me a little there, especially on one that's 7 years old considering this is my first egg so I don't know what to look for when buying a used egg.

I'm moving into my first home and instead of purchasing a new grill I'd rather get something that does more than just a typical gas grill but also something that cooks more consistent and something I won't need to replace in a couple summers.

Well, I suppose that's all for now!  I'll continue reading posts on here with mouth watering pictures and recipes as well as browsing others deals and what not. Thank you all for your time and info and I look forward to reading more of what you have to offer! 

Comments

• SmokingEgg
    Options
    Your best bet is to get one from an eggfest. The deals are better than you can get at a dealer believe me I am a dealer. I went to Dizzyfest and I am still kicking myself for not picking up a second BGE there.

My friends call me tater salad.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Thanks for your service to our country!!  I sure hope some dealer steps out and gives you a good deal on anything you want, or even the manufacturer???
  • yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Options
    Thank you for your service and be safe.  An Eggfest would be your best bet for price but consider looking into a local dealer where you live.  I like to support local business and it is nice to have a good relationship with dealer to get accessories. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Welcome aboard an Roll Tide! When you get home there are some places you can shop around. I am in Cullman. There are two dealers here and one in Hartselle. So you can call around and get the best deal. You can always wait for a fest egg but I say the time to buy is now (or when you get home). After you figure in gas to Atlanta and back and a couple months without the egg, you may be better off buying one local. And I bet the local dealers may give you a military discount. Let me know if I can help in any way.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• shtgunal3
    Options
    Also, the large is a good choice.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Eggfest would be fun, but if you're just looking to get an egg for now, I'd go for the $764 large.  Pick up a nest, plate setter etc. on craigslist or ebay.  Or build a table. 
    Options
    @mistamyrick, firstly, thanks for your service and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate with returning from Afghanistan and moving into your first home! My advice to you would be to get those things out of the way first and then consider your options for an egg. Like some have suggested, hopefully you'll be able to find a good deal with a local dealer. Hope it all works out for you and looking forward to hearing more from you once you do get your egg.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    If possible spend the extra money and get the egg... You deserve it. Holler when you get back... I'll set aside a few bags of Ozark Oak.... On the house. Thanks for serving.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • mistamyrick
    Options
    Thank you all for the nice comments! 

As far as the egg search goes, it sounds to me like the majority of you recommend eggfests for an egg, but I don't know of any local upcoming events except for the ATL eggfest in October (which isn't exactly local).  

I did call the two local retailers in HSV, but didn't really get the impression that either of the offers were really great deals.  I'll have to call around your area @Shtgunal3 to see what the prices are in your area and a most definite ROLL TIDE! 

@Charlie tuna, does the mothership actually sell and/or offer discounts? I thought they had to be purchased from a dealer?

So another question for y'all to help me with, whenever I do get a bge, what accessories are actually necessities and which accessories are recommended?  Thanks for all your inputs!!
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    I started out with a large BGE (a gift from my wonderful wife). I built. My own table and bought a plate setter for indirect cooks. Thermapen is a great instant read thermometer. The Maverick 732 is a great remote thermometer for monitoring pit temp and food temp . I have added a whole bunch of other stuff over the last 6 months. I suggest you don't buy too much accessories at beginning. Get the egg and use it a while and decide what you need as you go along. A lot of folks on here have bought a lot of stuff they never use.

• Jilogethan4
    Options
    I couldnt agree more with all the comments in this thread, as a new LBGE owner, also thanks to my wife, I have a the egg, platesetter and a bag of BGE lump.  You will need a good thermo set up, I got mine from amazon, Maverick was what I got, think it was in the $75-100 price range but well worth it, remote temp monitoring.

My next purchase is high temp gloves, probably go with welding gloves from a local supply store then maybe some adjustable/raised grill set up.  Also need some totes to store the lump and supplies in.

I wouldn't buy much until you start cooking to determine what you need. At this point, I cant wait to cook again on my egg and Ive only used it twice, lol
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I read that picking up a demo after the Eggtoberfest takes a couple hours of waiting in line.
    Gittin' there...
  • mistamyrick
    Options
    Does anyone happen to know any dealers that may be offering some eggtoberfest prices without it being actual eggtoberfest products?  i'm not even sure what the price would be from the demo eggs, I've read everything from $600-$750 for a LBGE with nest, but it never seems to be a clear answer.

If i can find a good dealer price to compete with that I'll buy one sooner, otherwise I may wait to see if I can swing one in October, but I might be headed back to Afghan in November so maybe I'll just wait again until I get back :(    We'll see I guess!