Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Vs. Sliced

Options
I've cooked several pork butts and cooked all to the temp to have pulled pork (around 195 - 200 IT). I have never done one where you slice it. What temp usually do you cook those to? Do they turn out good also? Thanks!

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have always done pulled pork, but I believe if you want to slice pork you would cook to 180-185 internal temp.  I have had sliced pork at bbq joints and it is good, but different.  There is more fat in the finished product because it hasn't all melted away. 

It might be fun to try sometime.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I agree; a shoulder roast done to 170-175, rested and sliced is very good.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I love sliced pork. Here is one I did. I think I pulled at 170 to 180. I will admit I did these on the weber kettle rotisserie. I still love my kettle and rotisserie.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Pork roasts are usually cooked to around 165 F internal (think ham).  You can go higher.
    Options
    Pork roasts are usually cooked to around 165 F internal (think ham).  You can go higher.
    Definitely the leaner cuts you don't want to go past 165 but the pork butts are good higher. I may have like the sliced better than the pulled or maybe it was nice change from always doing pulled.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    smokeyj said:
    Definitely the leaner cuts you don't want to go past 165 but the pork butts are good higher. I may have like the sliced better than the pulled or maybe it was nice change from always doing pulled.
    Yeah, you're right.  I'm thinking ham.
    Yes, 175-180 for sliced. I typically cook until 195 as we love it falling apart. Sliced is good to though as you can chop it. Either way is solid!!
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Options
    Can you FTC is you want to slice it? I've FTC when doing pulled and it works great.
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Cullum said:
    Can you FTC is you want to slice it? I've FTC when doing pulled and it works great.
    If you need more time, sure.  No need to FTC though if you're ready to eat.
    Options

Cullum said:
    If you need more time, sure.  No need to FTC though if you're ready to eat.

Awesome. Thanks so much!

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    smokeyj said:
    I love sliced pork. Here is one I did. I think I pulled at 170 to 180. I will admit I did these on the weber kettle rotisserie. I still love my kettle and rotisserie.
    That looks darn good @smokeyj.  I didn't know they made a rotisserie for the kettle.  Did you have the "smokenator" to go with the kettle or did you just do it over the coals? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I think I used my smokenator and the rotisserie just to see how they worked together. I know u don't need a smokenator to smoke on a kettle but I really do love that tool. It makes a real moist environment.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Around the holidays our stores will have "bone in" pork roasts, and i always try to do a few of them.  I inject them and slow cook(300 degrees indirect with pecan smoke) them to an internal of 165.  Allow them to rest 15 minutes before slicing -- a little tricky cutting threw the bone area, but i slice them like a one inch pork chop.  Very tastey and juicy!
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    My personal experience ...

All lean pork roasts and precooked hams: 140-145. Definitely out of the cooker by 140, a 10 minute rest could get you 150 and perfectly safe.  There is a time factor involved in killing bacteria etc. Check this out:  http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/meat_temperature_guide.html

As far as slicing pork butts goes.  Think about the stall.  The butt is essentially releasing it's moisture and thus cooling itself, kind of like sweating. However, it really won't begin to melt fat and break down collagen until 180-185 where butts high in fat and/or collagen can experience a second stall.  So, between 160-180 is the worst time in a pork butt's existence.

Now, the outer part of the butt is well in excess of that number. You can remove the roast from the cooker at 170 internal and let it rest to 180-185 before slicing.

You really want to cook the butt to just before the point where there is sufficient collagen and fat to hold it all together. 185 is a good starting point.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    place near me serves it sliced really thin then roughly chopped. i dont get it as a sandwich, mostly pork brisket and beans on a plate. its good, i think they use a slicer before chopping it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    I remember seeing a few posts where folks made "pork burnt ends".  They looked pretty tasty.  Here is one I found: