Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling Burgers and Pizza

Thank you in advance for any advice!! I am a brand new egg owner. I have been smoking for a long time and this past weekend smoked 4 Boston butts. It was so easy and worked great- 17 hours at 225 and they were awesome!!

I am used to grilling in a weber. I know the egg is great for grilling. If I grill burgers, how high do you typically get the egg for a good sear. Also, since it cooks so high, how long so you leave the burgers on to get to medium?

Last question, any good advice for baking the pizza. My wife makes her own dough and I want to use the egg to bake the pizza. Thanks!!!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Welcome to the forum!

I do burgers around 450-550 direct.  I like my burgers on the MR side, and I use an instant read thermometer to check the internal temp....I usually pull around 125.  Medium pull at 140.  The time depends on a lot of factors - how thick the patty is, the temp, how far the grate is from the fire, etc.  You can do it by touch...a medium burger is firm.  MR is pliable.  WD is hard.

Pizzas are a little technical...temp depends on the type of pizza and dough you're making.  I use Tipo 00, which can take some heat.  I cook them at 650-ish.  I put the plate setter in legs up, then a grate, then a few bricks, then another grate with the stone or steel on it.  Lots of different ways to do it.

I've done burgers lots of different ways, but my preferred method is similar to nolaegghead.  I like to do mine at 450ish direct for about 3.5 minutes per side, the flip again and shut the Egg down and let them sit for about another 4 minutes, adding any cheese if wanted for the last minute or so.  They've been turning out medium well and cooked all the way through yet still very juicy with this method. 

Pizza took a bit longer to get the hang of and finding a method that works.  We now do it indirect with legs up around 550 on a cast iron pizza pan for about 10 minutes.  As nola points out, lots of different ways to do either and still get great results. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Thanks Nila and Kenny Lee!!
  • For the burgers, the kid to the egg stays down right?? Thanks!!!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    For the burgers, the kid to the egg stays down right?? Thanks!!!
    For me, yes. Some don't. If you are maintaining temp(450-550) then yes.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I always keep the lid down unless I'm manipulating food.  The fire goes berserk when the lid is up.
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Plus keeping the lid closed for burgers, steaks or whatever else is what keeps the moisture in the Egg and in the meat.....the benefit of the Egg.  Enjoy!

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Kenny, I can't wait!! I love to smoke and grill and just got this awesome Egg!! Thanks for all the help!!