Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Question on puutting BGE in table?

I just got an table for my large egg and I was wondering do you normal put the egg on a paver or something else?  I have the egg still in the nest right now but wanted everyone take what I should set the egg on in my table?

Comments

• jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,784
     I have my large Egg sitting on the original ceramic feet, on concrete pavers.  Works great!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Mine is sitting on a paver from Lowe's  18"x24"x2"

LBGE

John Henry Lump Charcoal

A few toys for the Egg right now but always looking for more.

Egging in the Lowcountry of SC

• freedog74freedog74 Posts: 62
    @lowcountry_chuck ; have you noticed if the wood is messed up where the paver?  I am worried if I just put a paver there that it might mess up the wood because the bottom of the egg gets hot.

@ jaydub58 where did you get those original ceramic feet at?
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,462
    You want an air gap.  I have a burned spot on my shelf where I had it right on a paver with no air gap.

• HDmstngHDmstng Posts: 166
    I'd suggest getting the table nest.  I'm finishing my table and will have my large on a paver (or granite if I can find it at the right price) and the table nest.  May not need the paver/granite, but it can't hurt plus it'll make cleaning out the ash easier.
  • yellowdogbbqyellowdogbbq Posts: 374
    The ceramic feet used to come with the egg but they did away with them.  The table nest is a good option and that is what I would go with if I didn't have the feet. 
  • KennyLeeKennyLee Posts: 700
    I just have a 16x16" concrete paver from HD that is 2" thick.  Works great.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Too many single thickness two inch thick paver pictures have been posted on this forum showing serious heat damage underneith the paver.  I would go to the table nest on top of a paver, or at least a double thickness paver, air space will work as well.  But respect the heat generated by the egg -- especially if you are over or next to none fire rated materials.  Eggs have burnt houses to the ground.
    Thanks for the replies everyone.  If I got to my local BGE dealer can they get me the table nest?
  • I have the table nest sitting on the paver.  Plenty of air flow so nothing is messed up by the heat.  Your local BGE dealer should have a table nest in stock.  ~$25

LBGE

John Henry Lump Charcoal

A few toys for the Egg right now but always looking for more.

Egging in the Lowcountry of SC

@lowcountry_chuck I am going to check with my local BGE dealer tomorrow to see if they have one in stock.
  • Mine sits on two pavers. I havent noticed any damage.

Little Rock, AR