Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

700 degrees, ready for pizza!

bcran
bcran Posts: 37
edited June 2013 in Baking

First attempt at homemade pizza, 6.5 minutes on the stone.  Huge success!

Sausage, pepperoni, red onion, green pepper & three cheese blend.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Good for you, if everyone was happy, wood fire pies will become a regular event. 
    Some of us have found that at the higher temps, that is over 500, putting the setter legs up, grid, spacers then the stone will help save the gasket a bit. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looks great. Some very thin pizzas. Did you make the dough yourself?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Krusty61
    Krusty61 Posts: 1
    First attempt at 550 was good but at 650 I melted the gasket.   Pulled pork with caramelized onions & Shitake mushrooms covered in smoked Gouda was a nice treat.
  • bcran

Store purchased dough, quick, easy and tasty.  Also a good way to experiment.  Will try homemade dough next time.  We already had these in the house, from before I got my BGE.  

I've done pizza one other time, from Papa Murphy's.  Basically, take and bake.  They make the pizza, you take it home and bake it.  That turned out really well too.  

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    bcran said:

Store purchased dough, quick, easy and tasty.  Also a good way to experiment.  Will try homemade dough next time.  We already had these in the house, from before I got my BGE.  

In my experience at those temperatures and for 10 minutes? - Store-bought dough means a burned crust.  Looks like yours came out OK though - nice work.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Griffin
    We've done Papa Murphy's before, but usually if we are feeling that lazy, we just throw it in the oven. Sometimes laziness/tiredness trumps firing up the Egg.

Rowlett, Texas

• bcran
    bcran said:

In my experience at those temperatures and for 10 minutes? - Store-bought dough means a burned crust.  Looks like yours came out OK though - nice work.  

6 and a half minutes.  Crust had the perfect amount of black on the bottom, nice and crispy.  

I think these are it:  http://www.mamamarys.com/7-thin-crispy.php

• SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    I don't see the benefit of 700 degree pizza cooks.  Causes more problems than it is worth.  The Egg will never be a Neopolitan oven,so why go nuclear?

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Griffin
    @SamFerrise I know temp all depends on the dough you are using, but what is your preferred temp with your dough? We did a NY style one last night and 500F was right on.

Rowlett, Texas