Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kamado Joe Charcoal & St. Louis style ribs

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
I have been using Wicked Good charcoal over the last few years, so last nights cook was first time using Kamado Joe.  Seems like a very nice charcoal with a nice range of lump sizes within one bag.  Here is a shot of two LARGE chunks that I threw on top. 

My cook was spare ribs (st louis style) with chunks of hickory and chunks of cherry.  I have always done baby back, so I was excited when I found the "pre-cut" St. Louis Style Ribs on sale at Whole Foods yesterday.  I used mustard as binder, than tried two different dry rubs.  First rack was blend (dizzy dust paired with a local spice shop bbq rub called "smoke, spice & everything nice" ) and the the second rack was Oakridge Competition Rub.  I cooked them both the same method going something close to 3-1-1 all at 250F indirect.  In other words, 3 hours of smoke on vertical V-Rack, 1 hour in foil with liquid (apple juice/tiger sauce/melted margarine), and 1 hour sitting flat on grate (as seen in picture).  I applied Blues Hog sauce on the ribs during the last 30 minutes or so.  This was the first time for me using Blues Hog sauce as well, and it really put a beautiful glaze with a nice sweet/zing taste.  I can see why the pros use it so often.  Paired this with some vinegar based slaw, and every bite of our meal was AMAZING, and here are some more pics.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The ribs look fantastic!

Next time only use the North Market Spice rub. I used it on pork butt and it was one of the best I have ever done. Ben is legit. I love talking to him on the phone about different spices and blends. Smoke, Spice and Everything Nice has an awesome depth of favor. 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Those rips look great, and those chunks are HUGE.
    Dunedin, FL
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Thank You and I am shocked to find out that you matched-up "smoke, spice & everything nice" with Ben at North Market!   I love his smoked spices (smoked paprika, smoked salt, etc.) and I am guessing this bbq blend includes some of them. I agree with you 100% that this is my new GO-TO blend.  North Market (columbus, oh) is a 5 minute drive for me and I am starting to find out that rubs with sugar as #1 ingredient (like oakridge) is not always my favorite.  Also, you have to try Ben's Moroccan blend of "Ras El Hanout" .  . its great on chicken.  Thanks for the feedback. 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited June 2013
    NDG said:
    Thank You and I am shocked to find out that you matched-up "smoke, spice & everything nice" with Ben at North Market!   I love his smoked spices (smoked paprika, smoked salt, etc.) and I am guessing this bbq blend includes some of them. I agree with you 100% that this is my new GO-TO blend.  North Market (columbus, oh) is a 5 minute drive for me and I am starting to find out that rubs with sugar as #1 ingredient (like oakridge) is not always my favorite.  Also, you have to try Ben's Moroccan blend of "Ras El Hanout" .  . its great on chicken.  Thanks for the feedback. 

My sister lives in Columbus and sent me some Smoky Twilight, SSEN, and Mangenero for Christmas last year. Aqua is INSANE on some fish. I love going to North Market and wandering around Short North when I visit. Jeni's is some of the best ice cream.