Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Repurposed table. Give me your thoughts.

Options
Hibby
Hibby Posts: 606
I'm too stubborn and too cheap to purchase a table which was designed for a BGE. I'm not opposed to building one outright but I've been searching for a table to repurpose. I've found a good candidate in a table that is stainless steel with a 3" maple butcher block top. It's 7 feet long, 30 inches deep and 34 inches tall. It will obviously need an adjustment for height where the egg will sit by making some sort of stand. I'll need to refinish the top as it's well used. For those of you with more experience, do you see any pitfalls or concerns? I've not committed to this yet.
I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

Looks like a great project to me.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks like a winner, go for it!
    Options
    Looks like a great table.  Perfect size for a second BGE in the future too!  Keep us posted on how this turns out.
  • Hibby
    Options
    I have to try and lowball the seller first to see if I can get a stellar deal on it.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    There are a lot of deals like this at kitchen supply stores, where they sell used kitchen equipment.  This will make a heck of a table.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Looks great.  I would go for it.  I'm exploring this same route. There's a restaurant supply store that has a warehouse full of these prep tables in it.  I'm going to head over there and take a look to see if something can be used.

I love the butcher block top.  Most of what I've seen has been stainless.  Get that table.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    Options
    That's a great candidate for a BGE table. I repurposed a potting table to act as a prep table between my Egg and the gasser. We are replacing our kitchen counter tops soon so I'll have a nice piece of granite for the top. For the time being, I just picked up a couple of 18X18 porcelain tiles to use for a work surface. I like the idea of a stone surface to put hot grates etc.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • Hibby
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I thought people bought granite so they never had to replace it :) Maybe I read that wrong. You'll have leftover granite for your table top? Nice!
  • BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    Options
    Hibby said:
    I thought people bought granite so they never had to replace it :) Maybe I read that wrong. You'll have leftover granite for your table top? Nice!
    We only did our Island when we built the house because we reached our budget limit. Now we are doing the whole kitchen with a different color stone.

Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    That's a beautiful backdrop to be Egging to BrotherEgg!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Options
    Looks like a great project. I love the butcher block and ss combo

Keep us posted on the progess
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't have any experience with building tables (both eggs still in nests), but it looks perfect from here! 

Just thinking out loud here...but is your egg in a nest now?  I wonder if you could take the casters off  the nest and just bolt it to the bottom shelf.   It might be too tall even without casters but just a thought...

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hibby
    Options
    Is in nest currently. Will be later this week before I will make an offer on the table.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Love the wooden top! Just keep in mind that it is likely maple and that's not very resistant to weather. Finish it well, all sides and edges including the cutout for the egg. And refinish when needed.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hibby
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Does anyone know what the finish is that you'll find on wood tables in some restaurants where the finish appears as if it's nearly 1/8" thick and actually has drips or runs on the underneath side of the table? Polyurethane but very thick? The stuff I am referring to is I think always a honey color.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Oh, I don't think that would work at all.  Bad idea, not safe, too much work, etc.  BTW, what do you think freight would be to Oregon?

;;)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Hibby said:
    Does anyone know what the finish is that you'll find on wood tables in some restaurants where the finish appears as if it's nearly 1/8" thick and actually has drips or runs on the underneath side of the table? Polyurethane but very thick? The stuff I am referring to is I think always a honey color.
    That's usually an epoxy.  http://www.westsystem.com/ss/table-top-applications/
    Options
    Hibby said:
    I think that is an epoxy resin dip. I've never seen it outdoors so I assuming it doesn't have much UV protection. I would stick with spar varnish and just give it a sand and re-coat each year. Someone recommended Ace brand varnish to me when I was refinishing the bed in my '54 Ford Pickup. I loved the stuff and it was reasonably priced.

• Hibby
    Options
    Great information. Thanks!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I have epoxy on my table top and my outdoor TV enclosure which is directly in the rain and sun.  BrotherEgg is right - Epoxy doesn't do well with UV radiation.  That said, you can put a couple coats of spar varnish over the epoxy and it's like sun screen.

I learned that trick from the wood boat people. 
    Options
    Maple is not an oily wood. That means that a lot of finishes will hold up well. In my experience no finish will last forever so I look for ease in maintaining it. If you cover it in the winter, a spring and fall sand and re-coat will keep it going for a long time. Eventually you will have to strip it and start fresh. Varnish strips pretty easily. It's a smelly messy job but I'd bet you could do that table in a couple of hours at most. I would put at least six coats on it. Two  coats would be sufficient as a top coat if you do what Nola suggested.There are 8 coats on the truck bed.