Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some Pictures from New Egglandfest VI (2013)

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Tarantin Industries, the New England BGE Distributor, hosted the sixth New Egglandfest at their Brentwood, NH facility on Friday & Saturday. Friday night (06-21-13)  was a judged cooking competition for the teams who were going to be cooking on Saturday and a Meet & Greet. Saturday (06-22-13) was the more public facing event with  about 20 cooking booths open from 9:00AM to 3:00PM. I bought a tasters ticket for $25 which got me all the food I could eat, all the water, soda & surprisingly beer I could drink, access to the showroom where I could by anything BGE branded Eggcessories, door prizes and great times talking to other Eggheads. Where it was a 70 minute drive for me I stuck mostly to soda.

I had a wonderful time. I was there for 5 of the 6 hours starting at 9:00AM and got to sample an amazingly diverse array of foods: Breakfast quiche, Capt. Crunch French Toast, Empinadas filled with Brisket, Deep Fried Oreos, one booth was cooking a whole Hog and another one brought two home made beers: an IPA and a Stout. It was very interesting seeing how the various booths handled breakfast on the Egg. I do have a problem though looking ahead to Eggtoberfest. I was trying to pace myself, but by 10:30 I was full, by noon I was way beyond full and when I left I was afraid I might explode. I have no idea how I am going to survive Eggtoberfest if I did this badly at an event 5 percent of the size and scope.

I had the pleasure of meeting and sharing some time with Dr. BBQ. I was hoping to ask him one setup related question when I first got to the show and things were just getting started. But in total throughout the day I think we talked for nearly an hour. He was gracious, friendly, down to earth and just a great guy-I can certainly see why BGE has him representing them. He is a great ambassador for the Egg. I am not one of these people who goes gaga over celebrities, I have found many of them to be totally ego driven armpits. But Dr. BBQ was  a breath of fresh air. 

OK Onto the pictures. I warn you there are no plated pictures. By the time I got to someplace where I could put my plate down and snap a picture, the food was gone. I like my food when it is hot.

With this truck parked out by the main road it was hard to miss the side road leading to New Egglandfest.

The Smoking Aces are a competition BBQ team who counts BGE's among their arsenal. This was right at 9:00 when the show opened but later in the day I had some of the best pizza I've had on the BGE here. 

This is about 9:15, just after the show opened, and the booths are serving breakfast themed items.

Here is what was on Dr. BBQ's XLBGE around noontime. Some ribs, pork roast and I am not sure what is in the foreground.  It looks like a turkey breast, but frankly I was more interested in the ribs.

As I mentioned above Dr. BBQ was a great guy and it was a pleasure meeting him.

This is a 35 pound whole hog being cooked on an XL. This booth was the largest on site and it was called Team Chuckwagon, a group of friends and family of all ages who enjoy cooking together. They made a wide variety of dishes on the Egg, but this whole hog certainly got them the most attention.

Team Chuckwagon certainly had a Battleship Row of Eggs. They turned out a wide variety of dishes and gave people a pamphlet with all of the recipes on it. A nice touch.

Another BGE competition team Yabba Dabba Que from Bedford, NH was at the show. They compete both regionally and nationally using Eggs. They were at my BGE dealers Customer Appreciation Day two weeks ago and I enjoyed their food very much. They make some very creative baked items. I also love their logo.

Here is a creative item from Yabba Dabba Que: Brisket filled Empinadas. Based on how much I liked these, I plan to try making some beef empinadas on my Egg real soon.

The whole hog finished up around mid day and would rest for 1 hour. 

I went into the store and got to see a full range of BGE product from beginning to end of the companies history. They had a couple of the original Kamados imported from Japan in the 70's to the new BGE branded table. The new table is amazing. I also noticed a tweak made to the new nests. The nests have some wire brackets just above the wheels which hold the plate setter when not in use. I think they could hold a grill grate as well. I love the way the company constantly makes improvement to the product.

I had a lot of fun at this event and I can't wait for the Big Daddy in the Fall. 

Jim

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• Nice pix Jim!  I'm glad to hear Dr. BBQ is a real good guy.  I look forward to hearing about your beef empanadas!
    Flint, Michigan
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    The food was fabulous! You took the words right out of my mouth full by 10:30, stuffed by Noon! Can't believe we missed the empanada's and oreos. That homemade beer was great. We were near the area where you could see the contestants bringing over their stuffed burgers for judging. They all looked delicious. One thing we noticed is that eggers are clean. With all the paper plates, plasticware, and napkins there was absolutely no litter. It was interesting to see how they emptied all the ashes out of all those demo eggs to cool them down for transport to their owners. It was a good time and next year we'll get a motel close by as it was a long four hour drive home. But at least i didn't have to cook as we were still stuffed.
  • jfm0830
    @sharhamm do you happen to know which booth/booth number got the People's Choice Award? I had to leave about an hour early before I Eggsploded.
  • sharhamm
    edited June 2013
    Number 9..Don't Mess With Texas group. Great food and they had the beer!
  • jfm0830
    Thanks. They are the team I voted for. I really liked their South Carolina mustard sauce for their pulled pork. They were a nice bunch of folks too, I spent some time talking to a few of them throughout the show. I'm very glad to hear it.
  • sharhamm
    Do you happen to know the name of the fella with Dr. BBQ?
  • jfm0830
    Sorry no I don't, When I met and shook hands with Dr. BBQ he wasn't around. I do think that this isn't the first event like this they have done together. Because a couple times they were talking about various events in this area and what they made.
  • sharhamm
    Maybe he's a forum member and will see this post.  His ribs were super.  He made his own sauce, Asian and gave me the recipe.  I made it last night and it's close, but not as good as his.
  • I thought that was you with Dr. BBQ.  His name tag says Jim.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Poor lil' piggy.... :((   Just messin', it looks delicious!  ;)   Looks like a great time was had!  Can't wait to meet ya at the eggtoberfest!  :D