Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st ribs are on the LBGE.

CharlieTN
CharlieTN Posts: 177

Not a big cook but it'll mostly be me eating them.  Also didn't want to screw up too much meat if I mess it up royally.  :-) 

Pulled the membrane (much easier than I thought it would be) rubbed them with a mixture of Bone Sucking Sauce and BGE Savory Pecan to add some sweetness. 

Raised with a drip pan, lots of hickory chips on the lump. Stabilized at 286.  I drained the water from the hickory chips in to the drip pan.  Figured it couldn't hurt.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Looks good Charlie... I've got two racks on myself. FWIW, I don't use the meat probe for bb's; just the grid probe.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Texan, I stuck it in simply for curiosity sake.  Thought it might give me a decent idea of when they're close so I can swab some sauce on. 

Also have to justify the price of the Maverick to the wife so I use it every chance I can.  LOL

• TexanOfTheNorth
    CharlieTN said:

Texan, I stuck it in simply for curiosity sake.  Thought it might give me a decent idea of when they're close so I can swab some sauce on. 

Also have to justify the price of the Maverick to the wife so I use it every chance I can.  LOL

It certainly won't hurt anything and I understand... "happy wife, happy life!"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Alright, patience and hunger don't go well together.  Looks like I might have another 45 minutes or so.  Lord knows I have plenty of fat reserves so I won't starve but it feels that way.  LOL

They do look good and smell great.  The meat gives me just a bit too much resistance in a few spots with the toothpick test. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    You will be well rewarded for your patience-not long now-and they do look great!  Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CharlieTN

Well, they finished up and Oh My, I have got to do this again.imageimage

The second pic was a bit blurry and I wasn't about to wait any longer to take another. 

Thanks to everyone for the information, tips and suggestions.  Basically did them at 286 indirect for almost 5 hours.  Didn't foil or anything.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    Those look great.  Looks close to fall off the bone.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CharlieTN

JohninCarolina, it certainly didn't take much effort to pull them apart.  The one thing I'll do different next time is not put the bbq sauce on quite so early.  I was guessing I had about 30 minutes to go so I slathered them in sauce and it turned out to be 1 1/2 hours.  They were still good, just a bit more char from the sugars that I would have preferred.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Those look fantastic CharlieTN.
    Thanks.  I was pretty pleased for my first attempt.  Definitely know a couple of things to tweak for the next time.  I really like the results of pork cooked low and slow and ribs fall into the high speed low and slow category so they're a good option.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Just curious... did you find the meat probe at all helpful?
    Actually I did.  It was a bit tricky to get placement right to get an accurate reading but when I got it there it gave me a good idea of when things were about done.  

One note is that the ribs went through a stall period, just the same as a Boston Butt does, just not as long.  It was right at 170 degrees and stalled there for about 45 minutes or so.  
  • So I'm a rookie with my BGE, I've only had it a few months and have used it so much more than I would have ever thought, I've done everything from shoulders to brisket and chicken breast to brats, but I have yet to try ribs, I must admit I'm a little intimadated by the thought of doing them.

As much as I love eating them I don't know the first clue to grilling them.  Where should I start?  Do I start with babby back or go the full rack?

• DJKrage
    DJKrage Posts: 15
    CharlieTN said:
    Actually I did.  It was a bit tricky to get placement right to get an accurate reading but when I got it there it gave me a good idea of when things were about done.  

One note is that the ribs went through a stall period, just the same as a Boston Butt does, just not as long.  It was right at 170 degrees and stalled there for about 45 minutes or so.  
    Can I ask what temp you pulled them off at?