Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Pot Pie

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
Was thinking about my mom, so I decided to do one of her favorites.  First time ever making a Chicken Pot Pie, and it was pretty awesome!  This is definitely getting done again!  :)

Carrots for the filling

About to make the sauce for the filling

Broke down a herb brined spatch I smoked after my leg quarters

Combined sauce, chicken, peas, and carrots

Wishing I had a rolling pin, but thank goodness for my pizza experience

Top layer added and egg washed

Egg set-up and about to pull off

Nom noms

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    That's awesome @cazzy,  one of my co-workers has been asking for a pot pie and this looks like the way to go.  Nicely done.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Wow! Looks great.
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I love the cast iron skillet idea.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    In, too lazy to try but maybe one day as I love the dish. =D>
    Seattle, WA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Nom nom nom cazzy. That shiznit is superb. I
    love me some pot pie, more than Cartman ever will.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks great Cazzy....I love CPP.

SWMBO was the youngest of 8 and grew up on it (and it was survival of the fittest) so I'm not allowed to make it.  I'm gonna show her this and change her mind.  Dammit.
    Nice job Cazzy. Going to have to borrow this one for the arsenal
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

I did one of these over the winter and had actually served it to my Mom. She claimed that I had mastered the Pie and it was better than hers.

I felt like I had grown up.

Way to go on yours it looks awesome.

What I usually so when I make Spatch Chickens, is use the leftovers from them to make the pot pie. It gives it a whole new flavor.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Looks amazing - did you pop the whole pie out of the C.I. skillet at the end to cool?  I am deathly afraid of things sticking to C.I., but according to your picture, it looks like you just sliced and pulled one serving at a time?  What is your secret?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nice cook but the picture quality sucks :))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • That looks great Cazzy. Will you share the filling recipe?
    Flint, Michigan
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    NDG said:
    Looks amazing - did you pop the whole pie out of the C.I. skillet at the end to cool?  I am deathly afraid of things sticking to C.I., but according to your picture, it looks like you just sliced and pulled one serving at a time?  What is your secret?
    I don't mean to speak for @cazzy but, properly seasoned CI should be non-stick. You could, however, put a piece of parchment paper under the pie. Once cooked, a knife, slid around the perimeter of the pie should allow the whole thing to be removed (probably not necessary) or individual slices to be removed.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    That's one beautiful pie! Need to try that.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    A properly made and cooked crust should not stick to an oiled pan - that's the purpose of crust.
    Awesome. Love CPP and they are so much better when you use Egged chicken. Great job. =D>

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Beautiful job!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    That looks amazing. I have to get some CI cookware for the egg.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • cazzy
    That looks great Cazzy. Will you share the filling recipe?
    I used this recipe I got from the The Food Network:

Ingredients
    Crust:
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons salt
    3 sticks frozen unsalted butter, cut into small bits
    1/2 cup ice water mixed with 2 tablespoons white vinegar
    Sauce:
    1/2 stick unsalted butter
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons chicken base (recommended: Knorr brand)
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 cup milk
    1 tablespoon ground sage
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Filling:
    1 (8-ounce) box frozen green peas
    3 cups sauteed button mushrooms
    2 cups cooked, diced carrots
    4 medium potatoes, parboiled and diced, with the skin on
    1 (8-ounce) box frozen pearl onions
    4 (7-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, poached and diced
    Nonstick cooking spray
    Glaze:
    2 egg yolks
    2 tablespoons cream
    1 teaspoon water
    Directions
    To make the crust: In a food processor, add the flour, salt and butter. Mix until the ingredients are combined. With the motor running, slowly add the water-vinegar mixture and mix until the dough begins to gather on itself.

Dump out the dough and form 2 balls. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large saucepan, heat the butter until foamy. Add the flour, and chicken base, whisking constantly until golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the stock, cream and milk.

Put the pan back on low heat until the mixture has thickened (if the sauce is too thick, add more stock.) Taste for saltiness. Whisk in sage, nutmeg, salt (if necessary), and pepper. Remove from the heat, and in a large bowl, combine with the vegetables and chicken. Set aside.

Spray a 9 by-13 cast iron dish with nonstick cooking spray.

Roll out the first ball of dough slightly larger than the pan. Lay the bottom crust in the pan, letting the edges hang over. Fill with the chicken and sauce mixture.

Roll out the second crust slightly larger than the pan and place on top of the pie. Wet the edges with some water and crimp the edges of the 2 crusts together. Roll the extra over and tuck into the pan.

Mix the egg yolks, cream and water to form a glaze and brush on the top of the pie. Cut a slit in the top to vent the steam and refrigerate for 15 minutes to set.

After setting, place in the oven and immediately turn the temperature down to 250 degrees F. After 45 minutes, increase the heat to 350 degrees F and bake for 15 more minutes or until bubbly.

Let pie rest for 15 minutes before serving.

My wife said she didn't like pot pie, so I made some changes to the recipe.  I didn't mind though, as potatoes and mushrooms  are not things I normally would want to put in a pot pie.  I also scratched the pearl onions cause she's not a fan.  I'm more of a traditionalist with pot pie, so chicken, peas, and carrots was perfect for me.  Based on the feedback, several peeps said that the nutmeg was overpowering, so I scratched that and cut the sage in 1/2.  

I did have to make a slurry from cornstarch to thicken the sauce.  

Temp wise, I pretty much baked at 350 on the egg the entire time.  Took about 50-60 minutes.
  • cazzy
    NDG said:
    I re-seasoned my pan that morning so didn't anticipate any problems.  I also didn't envision any problems with sticking because of how much butter was in the dough.  

As nola said, as long as you cook the crust properly, you shouldn't have any problems.  It was cut and served directly from the cast iron pan.
  • Thanks man! My MIL is still in town and she likes simple down home cooking. This looks like a good one! Spatched birds tonight, CPP tomorrow!
    Flint, Michigan
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Got it - something about the textured C.I. that gets me worried about dough sticking when making a deep dish pizza, corn bread, chicken pot pie, etc.  Sounds like everyone is confident as long as dough is buttery & skillet seasoned correctly.  I am not putting that worry to rest, thanks.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApmvDU5RmyY

That looks amazing Cazzy!  

You are all welcome...you get to have this stuck in your head all day 
    >:)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy

Thanks man! My MIL is still in town and she likes simple down home cooking. This looks like a good one! Spatched birds tonight, CPP tomorrow!

For sure man. The crust was insanely good! Definitely one of the highlights. Filling was great too,
    just make sure its thick enough. I will probably more heavily smoke the spatch next time.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

That looks amazing. I have to get some CI cookware for the egg.

Cast iron adds yet another way to egg great food.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN