Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

"00" Flour Learning Experience

TTCTTC Posts: 288

Bought some Antico Molino Caputo "00" flour from Amazon to continue my quest to eat as much good pizza in this life as possible.

Made the dough per their specs exactly, 500g flour-325g water-10g salt-3g yeast -- using the digital scale to make sure I got it right. Let the dough rest in the fridge overnight to develop flavor.

I was really suprised at the difference in texture from my usual dough. I expected it to be different but was really blown away by how delicate it was. I think I let it warm up too much from the fridge before forming it into pizzas as it was literally falling apart in my hands.

The big mistake I made was adding WAY too many toppings. The dough is so light it just can't support the piles of meat/veggies/cheese that I normally add. I guess that's the reason authentic Neopolitan pizza is very simple. Lesson Learned.

I did feel that it handled the high heat (700 dome) much better than my normal dough and there was no doubt that it tasted marvellous, really really light and flavorful. Even the 5 year olds noticed the difference.  

The tomato/basil/mozzarella and the capicolla/kalamata olive/tomato were standouts as they were not overloaded with toppings.

I know, I know.....no pics means it did not happen. But there were 6 kids under the age of 11 running about my house last night (my 3 plus neighbors 3 that we were watching for a few hours) and after a long day of yard work (and a bottle of Tuscan Barolo) it never occurred to me to take pics. I'll do better next time.  

XL BGE - Gallatin, TN

Comments