Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lethal Injection (Pork Butt): pics

Lethal as in oh so good.  

Awhile back @charlie_tuna had posted a response to me wherein he detailed how he does his turbo butts.  It sounded pretty good to me at the time and I just today got around to giving it a shot.  Definitely the best butt I've done so far.

The raw materials:

This was about a 7 lb butt.  I injected about half of a bottle of Lawry's teriyaki marinade.  Then I coated it with some honey and applied a good dusting of dizzy dust.  I let it rest for about an hour just before getting it on my LBGE.  Here it is just before going on:

I set up my egg at about 225 grate, 240 dome.   PS in, legs up.  I added some chunks of apple wood and hickory.  I put it on the egg at around 7:45, and it took a couple of hours to get to 160.  Once at 160, I wrapped it tight in foil and increased the temp to 300 grate.  It only took about two hours to finish off.  I pulled it off the egg at 210, and placed it in a cooler for a couple of hours before pulling the pork.  The bone slipped right out, and it was probably the easiest butt I've had to pull so far.  The stuff just fell apart - it maybe took me 2 min to pull the whole thing.  Here it is in the tray:

And on the plate, with some slaw and Baby Ray's, choice of beverage for the evening:

Wife made some green beans and grilled cherry tomatoes to go with, but they didn't make it into a photo.  

Good stuff!  Thanks again to @charlie_tuna for the tips!

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments