Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef jerky results, crab cakes, and bacon stuffed bacon

Options
Jamieoro
Jamieoro Posts: 180
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
I was anxious to try smoking beef jerky on the egg and really wanted to fit it in this weekend even though we have many other plans for the egg yesterday and today. Typically I would slice and marinate the beef overnight but didn't prep well enough so did a short marinade in soy sauce, dried in paper towels and rubbed in fresh ground pepper.

Since I'm waiting for my jerky hanger to arrive
http://m.basspro.com/LEM-Products-Jerky-Hanger/product/82823/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductextensions&kpid=82823

I hung the strips over the grate and stacked up some cooling racks I use for baking.

Fire went out after a few hours, setting me back. The top sides were cooking but the underside wasn't getting done, probably because there wasn't enough airflow due to the pieces being folded over. i had to rearrange pieces. This problem should go away with the new hanging device on the way. After about 4 hours, I had to get the jalapeño poppers on the egg so was planning to keep the jerky warm in the oven. By the time the poppers were done and dinner of crab cakes and squash were done, most of the jerky was done.

Turned our pretty good but next time, I'd try to marinate longer and plan enough time to finish in the egg. Luckily they got some nice smoke taste from the first few hours on the egg!

Here are some Picts of the poppers (pancetta and cream cheese stuffed) and crab cakes too

Comments