Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

First cook a sucess!!!

CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,440
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
So got my first cook in the books chicken breast,wings and corn the family loved it!!!!

One question tho how long should it take the egg to shut down to zero once snuffed with cap and vents shut? I was cooking direct at 400 for 1.5 hrs or so.

Few pics for you.oh and I love it already!!!image
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,561
    cool down can take several hours.

congrats on the cook, the egg is a game changer.
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 1,683
    Yeah the old first cook. Only owned an egg for a year I think I have easily passed 100 cooks. Have fun
    Seattle, WA
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 2,999
    edited June 2013
    Nice first cook. Welcome aboard. I shut down my Egg an hour or so ago after a 500 degree pizza cook and it's still 300. Remember, If Egg gets down to zero you need to calibrate your thermo, unless cooking up north in winter. My Egg was almost 100 today before even lighting it.
    Welcome to the cult from Texas, home of the brisket and the worlds best BBQ. You have passed the initiation. Your path the grilling enlightenment will require the singeing of arm hair and eyebrows, smelling of smoke for at least 12 hours and finally having your neighbors, friends and family asking what you are cooking next. I like the varnished finish on your table.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 1,645
    Didn't wate any time getting AR. Wish I found this forum before I bought my platesetter. Great lookin dinner. How'd you do the wings?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos
  • dougbackerdougbacker Posts: 277
    Must be nice, First cook and an AR in use, Somebody was following this forum b4 they stared Eggin  =D>

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,440
    Done the wings and whole breast all raised direct at 400 or so and it was awesome!

My youngest daughter said it wasn't good but it was great!!!! Made it all worth it .Next time I'll let the lump burn off maybe 15 min longer.She isn't even cool and I wanna start over again.... Ribs next w/e for sure!!!!

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,326
    Awesome man....long time coming, but you nailed it!

edited June 2013
    AR is a neat piece of equipment it's pure quality and does what is supposed to well.So glad you guys accepted me even tho I was eggless for so long.
    Next question is to cover or not to cover ....not so much for the egg itself but for preserving the table???

• Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,841
    Way to break in the egg! Complements from the little ones are always great! =D> well done!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • She looks so clean! Good looking cook. It's a fun way to cook and eat really well.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,326
    AR is a neat piece of equipment it's pure quality and does what is supposed to well.So glad you guys accepted me even tho I was eggless for so long. Next question is to cover or not to cover ....not so much for the egg itself but for preserving the table???
    If it's out in the rain and sun, I recommend covering.  And a sealer on the wood.

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 3,590
    I like the dinner bell above the egg. Nice first cook. Well done and congrats
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    It has three costs of spar urethane guess a cover is a good idea too to protect the wood.

• MickeyMickey Posts: 14,209
    You go girl.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini.... 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015

• egger aveegger ave Posts: 505
    It has three costs of spar urethane guess a cover is a good idea too to protect the wood.
    I think the finish will last longer. UV and precip is tough on varnish.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 3,787
    edited June 2013
    ... guess a cover is a good idea too to protect the wood.
    Great first cook with AR to boot!  I don't cover my eggs but I have no tables to protect.  Be careful with the ceramic cap when you remove the cover, it's easy to drag it off the dome with the cover.
    Vaughan, ON, Canada

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    Well done Canman!  =D>
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Thanks y'all it was fun and overdue next it's ribs or pizza! <:-P

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 8,837
    edited June 2013
    egger ave said:
    Welcome to the cult from Texas, home of the brisket and the worlds best BBQ. You have passed the initiation. Your path the grilling enlightenment will require the singeing of arm hair and eyebrows, smelling of smoke for at least 12 hours and finally having your neighbors, friends and family asking what you are cooking next. I like the varnished finish on your table.
    I am glad he was able to separate brisket from BBQ. Also, the best BBQ comes from the Carolina's... or your own backyard...  ;)

Let the games begin!
  • DredgerDredger Posts: 182
    Now you will be spending all of your time thinking about what to cook next, lol. Good job!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 5,779
    Jamie - welcome to our world. Nice cook, for a guy that had months to prepare, you hit the mark. 
    Nothing like having your egg on one side and one of your favourite ladies on the other!
    And your choice of adult beverage literally has my name on it!
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,259

Rock on, Canman!  Good looking cook and great looking setup.

BGE won't look that clean long! 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 817
    egger ave said:
    I am glad he was able to separate brisket from BBQ. Also, the best BBQ comes from the Carolina's... or your own backyard...  ;)

Let the games begin!
    Everyone knows Memphis BBQ is the best.. come one now.