Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vintage Egg

Has anyone cooked with a vintage egg? This is a medium egg that is light green in color. It is made out of terracotta. Does it cook differently than the Egg's they sell today? I also have a large that is about about a year and a half old?

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @r2egg2q

I think that's how you spell his name. He did a reno on one and would know

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Tell us a little more about it? Would love to hear

XLBGE 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I have restored 2 old pottery Kamado eggs and keep them under 375-400F  so far a few years later no problems.
  • scaryangel
    scaryangel Posts: 135
    I bought it today off of Craig's list. I was told that it is ten years old. I paid $275 for it. It came with a nest that is one year old, a plate setter and a cast iron grid. The gasket was replaced a year ago and the gasket looks brand new. I went by the mother ship today after i bought it to see if i could buy the side shelves for it but i was told that they would not fit the vintage eggs because they were all hand made and the sizes are slightly different than what is made today. They told me that the Egg's that are made today are all made from the same molds and the sizes are exactly the same.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I've been working (really slowly) on my restoration for a couple of years and haven't cooked on my kamado yet. My understanding is it should cook similar but don't do high heat cooks as the firebox and ring are prone to crack under high heat. I would defer to Richard FL on the kamados. @micheggin and @deekortiz3 are a couple of others with old kamados and could probably chime in with their cooking experiences.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    edited June 2013
    I bought it today off of Craig's list. I was told that it is ten years old. I paid $275 for it. It came with a nest that is one year old, a plate setter and a cast iron grid. The gasket was replaced a year ago and the gasket looks brand new. I went by the mother ship today after i bought it to see if i could buy the side shelves for it but i was told that they would not fit the vintage eggs because they were all hand made and the sizes are slightly different than what is made today. They told me that the Egg's that are made today are all made from the same molds and the sizes are exactly the same.
    I can't imagine that the sizes would be grossly different. I can see pulling the bands off, bending the side table supports to fit and drill through the bands for the bolts. You may need to saw the support into and possibly take out a piece to make it fit. Maybe use 4 bolts per side then? But I don't know for sure.
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    I've currently have an XL BGE, Large and Medium. I've probably had ten Imperial Kamados over the last 30 years prior to getting BGEs. Imperial Kamados came in numbered sizes. 5 was equal to a BGE large, 3 was a medium. From my experience the parts will exchange except BGE never made a #4 or #2 equivalent.  I have put the spring assist BGE hinges and mates on at least five Imperial Kamados. The only thing I had to change was the 5/16 bolt that clamps the band, I had to get one 1/2 inch longer. They will cook exactly the same but I wouldn't suggest high temp cooks. My father in law bought his first on in the 60s and he's the one who introduced me to them. Hope this helps.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Thats very cool.  Some interior pix would be appreciated if not too much trouble.

Were it me, It repaint the metal hardware and just enjoy the heck out of Egg'in old school!
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • scaryangel
    Thanks for all the suggestons. I am going to do my first cook on it tonight if it does not rain.
  • scaryangel
    Here are a few more pictures of the vintage egg. The hinges are different. I also have a picture of the happy couple.
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Two cool! Love it. Thanks for the pix and congrats on a great pair!
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    It is way more than 10 years old. I have a small that's 15 plus years old and it is ceramic. That egg is over 20 years old.
  • scaryangel
    Wow I had no idea. Thanks
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Cool stuff. Enjoy!