Well I decided to have some friends over to show off the food that comes off of the bge. My first mistake was making a homemade lump reducing ring out of fire bricks. My second mistake was trying to use up my accidental purchase natural briquettes instead of lump.
Anywho, since I don't have a raised direct setup I went indirect. I skinned the chicken since I consistently get rubbery skin. The egg was taking a while to heat up but it finally reached 350. I was wanting 400-425 but just didn't have the time to wait. Put on some apple/cherry chips, PS, grid, then chicken. Once I did all that the done temp was reading 300 and didn't budge one bit even with the top off and bottom damper wide open.
Well long story short it took forever for the chicken to get up to temp. Once it did the outer part of the skin was super tough and that made me sad as all the good DP seasonings were in that part. I tried injecting this bird too but didn't notice a big difference in flavor.
Overall a pretty disappointing cook. I still haven't mastered chicken in the egg and it frustrates me as I love chicken sooooo much.
The below picture is what my chicken looked like the other day when I attempted skin on. Double fail!!!