Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone use a chimney starter to get their egg going?

It sure is fast, but I think it wastes a bit of charcoal. And i didn't have to buy it since I had it from my days using my side firebox cooker.

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I used one when I first got my egg but stopped after a while.  It did start the charcoal in the chimney very fast but it still took a while to get the rest of the egg going. I switched to 91% alcohol which I find it much easier and gets the whole fire going much quicker.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I use it when I want a bunch of burning coals evenly spread over the top of the fire.  I put in a bed of charcoal, then dump the burning coals on top and let it sit a bit. Vwalla! Even fire for paella, for example.

The Naked Whiz
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Chimney starter is ideal for quick starts, much like The Whiz says. I start mine over gasser side burner, using larger lump, much like in the old Weber kettle briquette days. When the grill came closer to the house (and power) the electric starter gets the job done. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I tried it once when I first got my egg. wound up with a raging inferno, temps thru the roof! Haven't tried it since though, after four years, I could probably do better now.  :D Mapp for me.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If I want a hot fire, I light a few places on the top of the lump with my propane torch.  Then I fire up my Echo leafblower.  Stick the nozzle in the bottom vent for a minute or so on idle.  Wait another couple of minutes then arrange the burning lump the way I want it.  Another 15 minutes or so, depends on the lump, I have a hot fire ready to go.

Usually I just start it well in advance and let it naturally build.
    I use my charcoal chimney for every low and slow cook that I do. I put an inch or two of coals in it. Let the chimney do its job getting them to white hot embers. Then a throw the hot coals onto the top of my charcoal and hickory pile in the egg. Throw the guru on and walk away. It's a great way to get a long cook started without risking going to far with a weed burner.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    For low and slows, I would never use a leaf blower.  I just light a 3" diameter area in the front top area of the lump.  I use a torch, takes about a minute.  When the smoke is good, I'm ready to go.
    You don't need much fire to keep the egg in the 200s.  A big fire gives you bad smoke when you choke it down, and it's more likely to go out.
    I used to but am satisfied with using Weber fire starters now. The chimney has some risk in it with carrying the coals around, etc. that I now shy away from. The fire starters take not much time, I can usually stabilize the Egg where I want it while prepping the food.